Pro Bolts From Tarty

Kieran@ZSClothing

Hey guys, got meself some of these pro-bolts put first in frame no problems, second one half may in and the head snapped off, took the bolt bit out with pliers. put another one in thinking maybe it was a dodgy bolt and this one snapped off in the frame. So I had to drill my mount and tap it to m6. So im an unhappy chap lol

I used copper greese on the bolts after finding the first one tight. and I don't understand why they snaped so easily and if they are so weak why make them.

Thanks Adam

have used those bolts and had no problems.

For the head to snap off there has to be some resistance somewhere. You said it was only half way in... so there should be no resistance, the only thing i can think of is that maybe it wasnt in perfectly straight??? other than that it should go in smooth, no resistance til its all the way in.

i definately wouldnt blame the bolts though....

good luck with gettin it sorted.

have used those bolts and had no problems.

For the head to snap off there has to be some resistance somewhere

As Danny says, for the bolt to snap putting in in there must have been some resistance somewhere... perhaps the bolt bottomed out in your frame, or it wasn't put in straight?

If you wish to send the bolts back to us we can send them back to Pro-Bolt for inspection, just give us a call (Y)

Like people are saying sounds like not a fault of the bolts but yours. There alloy bolts so that is going to happen if you over tighten them. Did you grease them up and did they go in smoothly or did you have to use some muscle as more than likely if its the latter then that will be why it snaped.

Well they went in smooth and perfect for the first like 4 threads and then went a bit stiff but this was the same with all the bolts i have used on this frame, im not to fused as my brake works and i still have bolts and im not worried about 6.50 so..... but i thought i would put up a topic just to find out if its a problem with the alloy bolts being weak or what. I had no problems with the ones i put in my brake levers or the one for the top cap.

Adam

Edited by The-Bear

ally is so soft that the slightest different in thread can cause the bolt to change shape/shear a little bit, undoing it snags on this and PING!

why why why use ally bolts? why do frames have horrible ally threads?

n e who, if ur gonna use them, put a little dab of copper grease on the thread 1st

ally is so soft that the slightest different in thread can cause the bolt to change shape/shear a little bit, undoing it snags on this and PING!

why why why use ally bolts? why do frames have horrible ally threads?

n e who, if ur gonna use them, put a little dab of copper grease on the thread 1st

And don't try tapping helicoils! :lol::P

I've had king funbolts and other aluminum bolts snap before. Be careful if they don't go in smooth, because they are pretty brittle. You could try chasing the threads in your frame with a m5 tap next time before you install the bolts.