Onza T-rex Spec 1 Vs Diamondback Kabuki Mono

pogo

i've bin riding bikes for as long as i can remember but have only had xc mountain bikes can someone give me some advice on what to buy, i'm looking for a stock bike for about £500 and the ones am really interseted in are the onza and diamondback but i'm unsure of what to go for.

Edited by pogo

Your best to buy a higher spec one off here.. I've ridden the diamondback and it does ride horrible in my opinion. It rattles and I wouldn't trust it. The t-rex is probably a better bet, the £200 extra is probably worth it since your getting tensile cranks, lite guy forks and onza hognesuim pedals. All of which are alot better then the set up in the spec one.

Your best to buy a higher spec one off here.. I've ridden the diamondback and it does ride horrible in my opinion. It rattles and I wouldn't trust it. The t-rex is probably a better bet, the £200 extra is probably worth it since your getting tensile cranks, lite guy forks and onza hognesuim pedals. All of which are alot better then the set up in the spec one.

but because i'm a noob will it make much of a difference?

but which one would be the better starter bike?

bearing in mind i've probs got to ride 7 miles to get to any good street n the onza's the one with the gears and removable seatmount.

Edited by pogo

but which one would be the better starter bike?

bearing in mind i've probs got to ride 7 miles to get to any good street n the onza's the one with the gears and removable seatmount.

7?! wow you must live in the middle of no where. You should look at a more streety style bike like a leeson, but they are quite expensive or a inspired, both of them have seats but there low profile so they wont get in your way so much. Ermm i think if you've got that far to go you need a seat, otherwise you'll be nackerd before you start riding. Although the gears sound attractive to have in trials there not really good to have. Single speed gives you more ground clearance and less chance of hitting your derailleur/tensioner if you bail also your chain wont come off and rattle as much. If you ask a more experienced 26" rider i'm sure they'll give you really good guidance.

Joe

:$ might have been exagerating about the 7 miles but bedworth's infested with chavs and am not too keen on getting my bike robbed

haha, yeah same with clacton, good for riding but you'll get mugged:P Yeah i've ridden a inspired before and thats one of the smoothest bikes i've ridden in my life! Even me could lift the front with ease. I'm 13 and like 5.3ish. So unless your smaller than me something along those lines would be good. But then again it's a matter of fact finding one for sale.

Joe

T-Rex spec 1.

Don't bother with the £200 for spec 2. For that £200 (+£15 well spent) you could get Control forks, Echo forged cranks, echo bash, echo 18t sprocket and an ISIS bb.

Waaaaaay better than the onza forks and tensile cranks. Pedals are perfectly adequate anyway...

Don't bother with the diamondback, they're all looks and no go.

T-Rex spec 1.

Don't bother with the £200 for spec 2. For that £200 (+£15 well spent) you could get Control forks, Echo forged cranks, echo bash, echo 18t sprocket and an ISIS bb.

Waaaaaay better than the onza forks and tensile cranks. Pedals are perfectly adequate anyway...

Don't bother with the diamondback, they're all looks and no go.

probs can't afford the extras anyway :( thanks anyway though

haha, yeah same with clacton, good for riding but you'll get mugged:P Yeah i've ridden a inspired before and thats one of the smoothest bikes i've ridden in my life! Even me could lift the front with ease. I'm 13 and like 5.3ish. So unless your smaller than me something along those lines would be good. But then again it's a matter of fact finding one for sale.

Joe

know any good inspired models? n am 6ft 2" so shouldn't be too hard to manipulate :P

Just go for the T-Rex, they are amazing, the frame must of been good, it was copied from coustellier, Zoo also ran the same model for a number of years. The geo is safe and pretty general so it rides nice and smooth.

I'd buy the spec one version, then spend more on a reliable rear hub, brake pads, and a new chain. Maybe bars aswell.

If i buy it off tartybikes will get some pads free but dunno how good they're gonna be.

Any recommendations for an upgraded hub?

My mate bought the T-Rex spec 1... it would have been alot cheaper for him to save up and build a better setup. The parts that came with it all needed replacing within 6 months. All that are left on it now are the tough guy forks and the frame!

A quality frame and if you're on a budget it's a damn good deal nether-the-less