Training Ideas!

Tom3bar

Hello all,

Well just bought the ST-1... my 1st REAL trials bike.

Already scratched the down tube :olol..

Well i was thinking... I really want to re-do my basics... and I'm orienting for more nature trials.

So if any of you masters trialers have any ideas for near home training, something from the basics up, just building my technique real well?

Thank you all in advance,

Tom.

This will also be handy for me and the OGC team (old gits collective)!! We are all starting from scratch and are doing this to get fit and learn techniques that will also help us in our main hobby of motorcycle trials...

So as an added question to the one above... in order of importance, what techniques are the best to start with to enable section riding. We are all too old to do 10 foot drop-offs, our fragile old bones will give way!! :)

sorry to hijack your thread...!

for riding natural, the best training is simply to ride as much natural as possible.

If you want to practise while not being able to get to natural I would reccomed getting your balance dialled, this can be done by ridding thin things, riding as slow as possible etc, anything you can think of that gets balance up.

Its also worth learning front pivots in both directions, trackstanding with either foot forward (VERY handy) and trackstanding brakless by looking at any dimples/ledges/roots and leaning/resting the front wheel in them. That gives your hands chance to recover mid section and promotes great chaintension control.

when riding natural, think about when to use your brakes....I see kids at comps with brakes fully locked wasting energy when they could just use one brake if on a downslope, or no brakes if on an upslope.

Also get rear wheel control dialled by picking marks on the floor and landing on them, the more the better.

I think those points really help to improve with natural riding.

good tip ive heard from Dan Jones he told me is when your riding, is when you hop 2 wheels onto something i.e. front wheel on one log and back wheel on another, is to balance with your body manouvering around the bike rather than you moving bike around, keep the bike as still as possible for as long as possible.

That is some great great ideas (Y)

Thank you very much guys, I'll start working on it :) - much to work and improve, i actually want to change my technique completely

I have this problem that i use my momentum and it is very very difficult for me to do static moves..

Thanks again,

anymore ideas will be great

Tom.

with static moves, the body needs to be relaxed. I see a lot of riders riding natural and the instinctive thing to do is to tense up, thats one of the worst things you can do. Being loose and flexy allows the bike to move about underneith you without making you fall off.

Now that your (hopfully) riding relaxed you can work on your static moves. its nearly ALL in the body movments, if you want to jump somwhere you have to preload and throw your body there....its like throwing a rock, its not going to go far if you dont move your arm!

throw your body and the bike will follow.

also another tip. if your riding natural and the tyres slip, dont put your foot down straight away, keep on the bike. more often than not the slip will stop within a few inches and you can recover from it....I see a lot of beginners put their feet down for very minor slips.

have fun practasing (Y)

Depending on the terrain, ride through as much of it as possible. Don't just hop though everythign on your backwheel.

I also find that if you've got 2 wheels on the ground, you'll be twice as stable, so wheelswapping is a great technique to learn as mentioned above. If you can keep 2 wheel on the ground, do it :)