Help: Crank Problems

Bobby Fox

Hello guys, recently built up my ozonys with all new components and keep having problems with my crank bolts coming unscrewed, if its any help im running all brand new echo isis bb, echo CnC cranks, echo bash and 18t echo screw on sprocket. The bolts screw in fine and are in no way slack on the threads just cant figure out what the problem is i ride for ten minutes and tension is lost and crank bolts starting to unscrew. If you got any ideas or advice please tell me, this problem is starting to piss me off especially as its such a silly little thing, thanks :unsure:

generaly this will happen if the crank is not flush to the bb , because when you ride the crank is being forced against the bb so all you have to do is keep tighteing it until the crank and bb are flush togeather if your strugling use a longer allenkey or make an extension to get more torke on it .

Thanks, pretty sure thats all fine, ive given the bolt some beans with a monster allen key. Someone has said i could be the bolts, im using the echo ones which came with the bb anyone had problems with these? Also would the chain running slightly off line pull the cranks one way? keep the coments coming cheers

Yea My echo crank bolts come unscrewed permenatly as did my mates, I shoved shite loads of loctite on mine, did the trick, My mates however still came loose so he superglued the bolts in :unsure: I wouldnt do that tough. Just buy some loctite. should sort it out (Y)

Went in the bike shop in the last hour, he put on some hermititte (german version of locktite apparently) and cranked the bolts up with some massive foot long allen key, he said if they come undone now its the quality of the machining on the ISIS BB. He said that the crank has pretty much bottomed out on the BB meening although the bolts are done up tight the crank isnt. Hopefully it will stay in place as that echo BB was new a week ago :P

Locktite is more of a bodge than a solution, if the bolts are bottoming out before the crank arms tighten just use some washers to space the bolts further out so the crank arms tighten up before the bolts do. I had a similar problem (albeit with a different set of cranks) and this worked fine for me.

Edited by dandadude

Went in the bike shop in the last hour, he put on some hermititte (german version of locktite apparently) and cranked the bolts up with some massive foot long allen key, he said if they come undone now its the quality of the machining on the ISIS BB. He said that the crank has pretty much bottomed out on the BB meening although the bolts are done up tight the crank isnt. Hopefully it will stay in place as that echo BB was new a week ago :P

Had that same problem with my echo isis BB as well a few months back. It seemed as though the isis spline section was too small on the non drive side. The bolt I would tighten up with a 20 inch spanner hooked over the allen key till I couldnt turn it any more and the crank still wiggled ever so slightly on the spline even though it was flush against the ridge at the end of the spline. The supplier I bought it from said to send it back and that he never had seen this problem before, but I thought I would just try put up with it as it seemed like such a small problem to mess around with warranty claims, (Not to mention the nearest trials shops are 2000kms away from where I am).

Whilst having the bolt that insanely tight, it did stop the bolt coming loose, but after a few months or riding, that tiny bit of play got to the point where I could feel the crank wiggling whilst riding. More wear on the crank no doubt. I bought a new BB and problem solved using the same(echo cnc) cranks as before. The crank would get incredibly tight when 3/4 of the way onto the new spline (even with no bolt in it), and lots of friction on the bolt to pull the crank the rest of the way onto the spline. Bolt and crank now both stay tight! With the old spline the crank would effortlessly slide across to the end of the slpine as if it was smaller than the new one. So yeah I think its a manufacturing thing.