Hope Pads Contaminated...

Ste Wilson

Well the bolt that conects the hose to the caliper decided to come lose and the fluid leaked out onto the pads... just wondering if i could get the oil out by heating the pads as dot 4 has a very high boiling point so i didnt know whether it would work or not...

All Tips Welcome (Y)

Thanks ste ;)

p.s. i tried using the search engine nothing really came up

Edited by Ste Wilson

I've got a lot of experience on this. My best frind is my small butane gas burner. Then I burn the disc and the brake surface of the pads. You dont need to through heat the material, just the surface. On the disc you will see small dots when the flame goes over it and that's the oil burning of. You can clean it with brake cleaner afterwards.

Try a little easy first, if it doesn't work burn a little more.

You maybe could put them in the oven too but since I have a burner it's much faster and easier so I haven't tried that.

Sanding the pads could help to but burn of the oil first or else you will push it into the pad as you sanding it. You will get much of it off but it will be some left if you only sand them.

Edited by Henrik Y

This happend to me, what I did was get a tealight candle holder (the small round metal one), I put the pad in, filled it up with petrol and then set it alight! Once all the petrol burned off i took the pad out burn off any extra petrol off with a lighter and then used sand paper to rub the black off the pad. Lastly once the brake was back together just bed it in with some water and there!!! One super amazing brake. Hope i helped.

Why spend like £15 on new ones you could just spend 10 mins work to get them back to new!

Belive it or not, since ive been riding i have had a fair few front brakes, and disk pads, no matter how much you sand, burn etc they are never the same, unless your really lucky.

Belive it or not, since ive been riding i have had a fair few front brakes, and disk pads, no matter how much you sand, burn etc they are never the same, unless your really lucky.

Well i guess im just really lucky then because ever time i did it it worked a treat and worked amazin, then again one time i did nearly burn my garage down so maybe it is safer to get new pads!

its happened to me before with my old brake, i tried most of these tricks, but it never got them as good as they were, so i ended up buying new pads. if you thry the other things then bear in mind that you will probably have to wait a while for the pads to bed back in, so give it time.

Andrew

See it does work, my brakes worked better after then they did before! Petrol is the way forward though.

Yes, heat is the solution. I tried to heat the pads on one of my brakes that I didn't have time to fix before on the stove. And then wiped the pads and the disk off with brake cleaner. And they work super.

And never sand the disk if you would get that idea. I tried it with an old crappy disc and it was worse then getting oil on it. Disc brakes need large smooth contact surface so air holes in the disk is not very nessesarly for trial bikes. Only for downhill when you brake often and in high speeds and they get hot.

Edited by Henrik Y

lmao am loving that with th grill... Will try and get the oil out and clean the disc but if that does not work i will use my spair disc and get some new pads (Y)

ste

thanks once again for all your comments you have all been a great help!

Edited by Ste Wilson

Use a great big blow torch, and burn the shit out of them, don't over heat them, keep moving the flame on and off them to keep flames coming off them, eventually they will run out of oil, so they won't burn any more.

Let them cool down, lay some sand paper on a flat surface, sand the surface down, then bed them in with mud, wash it out with a jet hose, then dry the water off.

Works everytime. Well actually, it works so well, I have only had to do it twice. :P