Pedal Problem

pengsmelly

well i just bought some cranks tensile off "jake_mayfield" and he falied to tell me that there was a crappy plastic pedal stuck on the left crank (N)

i have tried getting it off for ages but just wouldnt move,

eventually i felt some movment, kept undoing it then realised that it was taking the pedal insert out instead of the pedal :(

can anyone help me please. thanks matt

Take the pedal insert out with the crappy pedal and buy a new pedal insert, there £8 mind so see if Jake_Mayfield will go halfs with you, or if you not fussed buy one yourself - there on Tarty for sho

I was bored, theres the link (Y)http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?id=50

Edited by Jsy Ben

is there anyway i could try put the insert in again tite then try get the pedal out? i cant seem to put the lockring on very well. lol

i did that, but i took the insert all the way out :(

perhaps it needs soaking with wd40?

also, maybe a last resort but if you take it out with the insert, you could heat the insert to expand it and then put it back in when it's off?

how will exspanding it work? iv taken the whole insert out with the pedal still on.

If the pedal is really stuck, all putting the lockring on will do is strip its threads. Your best bet is to pull the pedal apart, grip the axle in a vice and grip the largest diameter section of the insert with some stillsons. It is very likely to do damage though if it's seriously tight.

I had some DDG Mag pedal's stuck on some onza muscle man's, took me 3 hours to get them off, had the smash the shit out of the pedal and then i bent the pedal axel and used a spanner on the asel to get them out, Wouldn't try it unless you're really desperate though, You gonna leave him Negative feedback ?

i would say heating is the best option. Take the lockring all the way out and heat it up with a blow torch, some WD-40 will help, but dont set the can on fire! Then when its very hot, either nip the lockring up in the vice and use a pedal spanner, or use stilsons. Make sure your turning it the right way! (not trying to insult your intelligance, but a left hand pedal comes off clockwise).

hope this helps

Andrew

Ok so the pedal is out of the crank arm correct?

and the insert is still on the pedal threads? if so wack the pedal in a vice and use plenty of wd40....let it sit for around 30 mins....get the blow torch ready and heat for roughly 3 mins......then use a rag or somthing to stop you burning your hands and take off the insert :)

works every time ;)

dave x

how will exspanding it work? iv taken the whole insert out with the pedal still on.

expanding it (by heat) will either make the thread expand and thus loosen, or make the thread more malleable and more susceptible to tearing off.

So, if you heat the insert, it ill expand and the pedal will not, making the thread on the insert looser and more likely to turn.