Why No Suspension Forks And How Many Fingers Used To Pedal Hop

tris

well i just bought an onza zoot. yesterday i couldn't pedal hop, then as soon as i got my new bike i could. the reason i can now is because of the brakes nothin else. i was just wondering do most riders use 1 or 2 fingers to pedal hop?? with my new bike (maggies) i can use one finger to lock the brakes becuase they are so poerfull and hydraulic. the problem i am now having is that after landing a pedal hop my back brake sometimes gives out (because i can't hold it hard enough).............any tips?? should i be using 2 fingers??

he other question is why do trials bikes have no forks, i hate the hard feel of having no forks and dont see any benefit. is there any 24" suspension forks with 80mm or less of travel and maggie mounts (or disc mounts)?????

cheers guys, this is my first post....

Welcome to the forum, trials bikes do have forks, just no suspension forks, (unless you want to have them of course) We tend not to use suspension as it can make the front end feel abit too soft, wheras rigid forks maintain stiffness throught the bike (if you're doing anything on or around the front wheel, it makes it far easier).

With your problem refferring to the brake, iwould reccomend moving the TPA (turbo pad adjuster) on the brake lever, to move the pads closer to the rim, or adjust where they are on the frame, muve them in towards the rim by loosening the mounts, moving the caliper then tightening them back up. if you are using standard magura pads, i would strongly recommend buying some new ones, zoo pads or green rock pads for smooth rims, heatsink reds or plazmatic crm's for a gring, search on here and you'll find many topics relating to pads.

Nice to meet you, have a good stay.

Matt

Trials bikes dont have suspension as they're a little weighty and would cock up the geometry of proper a trials bike and make the bottom bracket too high

I only ever use one finger 'cause as above I like to have as many on the bars as possible, if your back brake isn't up to the job you should think about getting better pads, grinding the rim, using tar on the rim that kinda thing :)

thanks for the replies, bloomin fast. yeah....i meant suspension forks. im not exactly a novice at biking, just pedal hopping. i can do stuff like:180 endo, 180 endo drop off, back hop, manual and now pedal hop.

i see that having no suspension helps because 180 endos are sooo easy now. but manualing is a chore because u have to yank on the bars so hard to get to the sweet spot, then all of a sudden it over balances.....

i'll carry on using one finger because its so easy and 2 fingers is vertually imposible because my hand comes off the bar!! thanks