Monty Freewheel Question.

rudirudirudirudirudi

ok, iv just bought one. had it about a week, iv noticed that the chain tension varys dramaticly with it. It goes from a good tight chain to a super loose one............

as far as i was aware, the tension was fine when i had my tensile freewheel. so what i want to know is has anyone else had this trouble with monty freewheels.

if its not the freewheel then i guess its my bb. :(

cheers.

x

Same with my mate he has a monty freewheel and the chain will go from very slack to very tight with a half turn of the crank.

yer thats exactly it....... however i have just had a look and i think the bb is slightly bent. the axle isnt in straight :blink: i did have some problems when putting the bb in so this is probably why. new bb then.

yer thats exactly it....... however i have just had a look and i think the bb is slightly bent. the axle isnt in straight :blink: i did have some problems when putting the bb in so this is probably why. new bb then.

Or maybe new frame, You may have stripped the threads when you were putting it in. :(

Or maybe new frame, You may have stripped the threads when you were putting it in. :(

i thought i was going to have to get a new frame when i put it in. but somehow managed to get it in. seemed alreight. maybe it isnt. :(((((( nooooo. rudi = very sad right now. iv just bought a new bb so i will see how it goes with that. if not then new frame for me. ...

Its just how some freewheels are, its something to do with if you ride left foot forward, if you land on the chain it is in its slackest point so doesnt snap!

This is what i have heard!

Ive also heard its because the nobs that manufacture them cannot get the tap straight wen making them so the threads are in at an angle, so the outer teeth move from side to side wen the freewheel turns!

lol, and bbs dont "just" bend!

Harry!

It is VERY unlikely to be the freewheel (I have never seen this before).

It's more than likely the threads on the cranks - it's impossible to manufacture them perfectly square.

With your Tensile freewheel setup it is possible that the slight bend in your BB counteracted the 'wobble' of the freewheel - I would try your cranks in various positions on the BB and see if you can get it to run straight :)

Adam

It is VERY unlikely to be the freewheel (I have never seen this before).

It's more than likely the threads on the cranks - it's impossible to manufacture them perfectly square.

With your Tensile freewheel setup it is possible that the slight bend in your BB counteracted the 'wobble' of the freewheel - I would try your cranks in various positions on the BB and see if you can get it to run straight :)

Adam

i tryed the cranks in various positions and the chain still gets tight and loose when the cranks are in the same position..... does that mean that the freewheel has nothing to do with it and it is the bb?/??? the video should have uploaded soon so you can see for yourslf. ... i did have trouble with the bb when putting it in. at first i put it in and the spindle was off centre. this maybe why.