Wireless Cable Router Needed

Olly C

Hi guys,

I'm in need of some opinions on whats good and whats not in the world of wireless router's.

I'm with Virgin Media on the 4MB or soon to be 10MB line, I currently have a D-Link 4-port cable router to which I use all of the 4 ports, my sister now wants Internet on her PC downstairs and its too much hassle to run a cable down the stairs and I don't have any free ports to do so anyhow so I'm looking at getting a new wireless router to sort things out.

So far I've found this one which seems to fit the bill quite well: High-Speed, Long-Range Wireless 300n Cable Router and USB Dongle

It's got the 4-ports like usual, the fastest wireless available 'N' and also comes with the USB dongle my sister would need to get her PC wireless.

I can't seem to see any problems or lack of features with this deal so do you guys think thats my best option?

Cheers Olly.

Sometimes Maplins has good deals, but yeah, have a hunt around for the best price. You can certainly get them a lot cheaper than £80, but perhaps not 'n' ones. If you do anything over your network besides internet (I.e. backups, media streaming etc) then 'n' is a good idea. If it's just for the internet there's really no point paying more for that extra speed. (Although I believe 'n' has greater range too).

There are loads to choose from, I would tend to go on a well-known cheap site (E.g. eBuyer) and choose one that's a few pounds more than the cheapest one. Saving £2-3 on getting a shit router isn't worth it. It could be slow, crash a lot and be a pain to set up. Anything by linksys, d-link, netgear, belkin should be ok. I liked my netgear one, but that broke, so I've not really got any recommendations.

By the way, you can always get a wireless access point which will plug into your existing router and provide wireless that way (obviously taking up one of the ethernet ports). Again, I'm not sure on the prices, it might not be any cheaper than a wireless router these days.

get it from dabs.com, maplin is a rip-off

I've had a look on there and it'd work out a quid or two more expensive from Dab's also we have a good Maplin in our town for customer support etc afterwards.

Looking on dabs.com I can see theres an N1 one not packaged with the USB dongle with three antena's and I can't really see the difference between the two?

The reviews seem good for the one I linked so far though :)

Cheers Olly.

Edit: Found on Play.com here for £10 cheaper @ £69.99

Like I said, do you need N? If not, then something like this would save you £25.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/661/868/-/342...earchtype=genre

Sorry there Tomm, I'm not sure I need 'N' but my sister has to foot the bill since she's the one wanting it so I'm looking at getting a top one incase I need it for something in the future :) Also it means I won't be paying as much per month for the internet now so it's a win-win situation for me (Y)

Wireless 'N' router £59

I bought this one two days ago, had no problems so far, the range is alot better than my previous linksys router and is a good price for the new standard of wireless (Y)

Look's good along the same one as I linked, but for the £10 extra the 'N' dongle that comes with the Belkin deal win's it for me, so I think we'll be ordering that.

Thanks for the help though guys, just making sure no-one came back with "don't get said model it's god awful" or anything like that :)

Cheers Olly.