A List Of Reputable Trials Related Shops And Products...

Ash1984

Sorry if I tempted you in to this thread in the hope you were going to find a list of bargain bike bits. My intention is for the more experienced shoppers/riders out there to hopefully fill this with replies recommending retailers and products.

I used to ride about 3-4 years ago and now I've come back everything I once knew is now referred to as old school, ring things pretty much don’t exist, seats have gone, frames are long, and kool stops apparently don’t stop you anymore.

I have tried searching through the forum but info for new starters and people returning to the sport is spread all over - there is a thread in the main forum called 'Newbie Knowledge (Back To Basics)' but its as dated as me!

Maybe an update to the Newbie Knowledge is needed?

Sorry if I have gone over old ground a bit >> I say again I did try a search.

(Y)

Edited by Ash1984

The banner ads on the top-right of your screen are a useful helping hand. As I'm sponsored by Tarty Bikes (www.tartybikes.co.uk) - I'm naturally going to push you in their direction, but frankly most people will - great range, prices and service.

But as someone who has been riding nearly 10 years, I fully understand your worry. I took a sabbatical for university, suddenly discovered trials-forum and found this whole "new" world of trials. The transition was weird - lots of new techniques and a better selection of components, and being branded as "old school".

I wouldn't worry so much about what is old/new school. If you're getting back into trials, it doesn't matter what you're using as long as you have a working bike. Frames have gotten smaller and generally longer, with bottom bracket rise (which feels very strange at first). If you're looking for something that feels more like the bikes you used to tide - consider going 24" as these are about the length of say an Orange Zero :)

Rowan Johns was still running Kool Stops with a smooth rim until recently, so you can still use them, but there are 101 different companies offering brake pads. All of them vary depending on if you're running a harsh/light grind or tar. My personal opinion is anything you have to go to that much length to get working isn't a good braking system - which is why I run dual discs :)

However, give the guys at Tarty a ring and they will be full of good advice on what to run. Advice is free - bits aren't :D

www.tartybikes.co.uk

www.trials-uk.co.uk

Btoth very good sites,

with all the new products out!

I ran KoolStops until recently and i have to say,

in comparison to my Coust Pads on the rear,

the koolstops are pretty damn good,

expecially on a grind!

:)

If you're looking at getting a new frame,

Look for frames that come under the "Deng" category,

such as Zoo!, Echo, Czar, Adamant and i think there's another!

:D

Ben

Thanks very much - especially to Spode, your comments put me at ease!

I used to have a Zebdi then a Zero and am now on a Pashley 27Mhz, I'm not bothered about buying anything new at the moment, I just wondered if I was missing out on some new 'wonder' components that would make me jump a foot higher (yea right).

Thanks again lads, I wonder if Admin can pick this up and update the thread I was on about for newbies in the main forum using Spode's comments as an intro for returning veterans - :D