Using Tar

jordan282

i cant really afford some new pads for my hs33's. i have standard red pads and am thinking of just using tar t make them better. although i have heard that when the tar wears out, the brakes are just even worse than normal. dos anyone know what this is all about ?

Tars always been good with the right pads and a smooth rim, So your better off byeing some better pads first, then put tar on the rim.

I had a go on Danny Kearn's bike and he was using some of those new Neco Pads. They were awesome. You should try some.

Cheers,

Mike.

Tars always been good with the right pads and a smooth rim, So your better off byeing some better pads first, then put tar on the rim.

I had a go on Danny Kearn's bike and he was using some of those new Neco Pads. They were awesome. You should try some.

Cheers,

Mike.

Doesn't solve the problem as he said he can't afford new pads right now.

Tar will be fine on a smooth rim with your red pads. It does wear off but you can easily just re-apply it. I'm presuming your a beginner so smooth rim and tar will be fine. As you progress will be better off with a grind and some specific pads such as Koxx Browns but for now use the reds. When you apply the tar don't put it on too hard, just a black/browny smudge will do the job, you will find the braking power quality with loads of bite.

Phil

Tar is fine if you dont wanna buy new pads yet to make your brakes have a little more bite. There arnt really any downsides cept it sucks in the wet and it makes dirt stick a little easier, bout once a week i like to take some soap and water to the rim so get her all clean and ready to go.

Tar is also great between grinds to keep ur brakes feeling great!!

tars awesome stuff...just dont put too much on otherwise you might make your brakes stick on... you'll have vastly improved bite and hold, and the wear life on your pads will be vastly decreased. Oh, and your brake will not, i repeat, will not work for shizz in the wet, due to the tar seeming to turn into an oily substance

Just grind your rim and get some grind specific pads when you can be nothered...theres no real urgency to be honest