"just Do It" Mentality

tipsy Jock

I disagree with what has been said above abit. I dont think you can learn to crash in trials its just pure instinct. When you get in a sticky situation your body takes over becauser you don't have time to think, for example jumping over the bars, you don't think about it you just do it instinctively. But if we are talknig about bails I guess you learn to bail off properly with experience. Obviously this is different to dirt jumping etc when you have more time and can learn a specific technique to avoid a stack.

I get this mentality too, the other day it hit a peak, sidehopping up a stack of pallets, nothing can even go wrong! I just really didn't want to, so anyway after 4 times lining up on the back I finally went for it and made it easily.

My resolution is to push myself alot more, will become a better rider quicker with the right mentality (like those nutter russians, go for anything! :P)

Phil

I think riders should put the word ''accident'' to the back of there minds, infact dont use it. Using word ''accident'' when your thinking of, or when you have fallen off your bike puts doubt in your mind as a rider, an accident is something you have no control over, and as you know control is what trials ia all about. If you think of past falls as mistakes or possible bad outcomes as mistakes this puts the enphisis on you as a rider not to make an error and puts you 100% in control. Many proffesional sports stars use this method to over come injuries and mental blocks an example i recently noticed on TV was a downhill skier, falls off at 90mph a ski goes into his back and was out for a season, it wasnt an acident, he over rotated on a jump and came off, he learnt from that mistake and is now back on the slopes going faster than ever. When your standing on the edge of a drop gap, or whatever move, dont let doubts creep into your mind, you obviously are capable of doing it otherwise you wouldnt be about to go for that move, it will be your fault if you fall off not some ''unlucky accident'' so if you have prepared right and learnt from past mistakes you should have no problems in going for it, and will more than likely land it. Any mistakes that happen learn from them, get up and do it again. Hope that rant made sense. >_<

"If you want to become a better rider, getting stronger mentally is the way to go" (TRA)

"The camera is the only thing that keep me push the limits!" (TRA)

"You improve in steps, somtimes these steps take a week, sometimes a year but you will go onto the next step eventually" (unknown)

I always keep theese in my mind....

And the second one is SOOO true... i always do bigger stuff when i record.... :)

Edited by t33zr

you have to asses the situation it's normal. Abit like when your driving you're not going to go steaming into a blind bend but you will once you've gone round it a few times.

before I do anything i'm thinking about my odds of damaging myself. I always remember that I could break my back doing this but the same thing could happen on crossing the road and i'm not scared of that.

you just have to use a bit of sence but not be a pussy aswell.

you've said it yourself, its all about the 'just do it' mentality. leave all your worries at home, go out on your bike, do moves rather than try moves.

recently i've been trying to think of riding in its simplest forms, it seems to make it more enjoyable, and if your concentrating enough on the move itself, then fear wont even come into the equation!

Now you've said that

i will always remember it and will always be at the front of my mind when trying something big!

Thanks!

:D