Magura Problem

walker

Right, ive recently bled my rear HS33 with water (bout 2 to 3 weeks ago) and my lever started to feel odd. The master cylinder was making a slight noise and it didnt feel at all smooth. So i popped the master cylinder out and lubed it up a little and rebled the brake with water. It then felt fine, but today (two rides later) its gone back to feeling how it was before. Common sense tells you that water isn't lubricating the master cylinder seal enough, which is why its going stiff. Has anyone else experienced this? Would adding antifreeze to the water cure the problem??

thanks,

Andrew

Did you give it a good clean out before the water bleed? If not, there will most likely be lots of gunky ming that's slowing your brake right down...

Whip it apart and check, it will be fairly obvious!

My preferred solution:

Get a track pump, and attach this to a bleed pipe using the presta fitment on the pump, and then to the slave cylinder.

Stick an outlet pipe in the lever, aim this towards a bag/tub/something to catch the ming and pump like fury...

Then, mix up a 1:5 ratio (ish) of washing up liquid/water... bleed the brake with that, pump it a lot.

Repeat the track pump stage and then re-bleed with normal water.

Pump the brake plenty of times again, repeat track pump... then re-bleed with fresh water.

Drop some wet chain lube on the seals/pistons and work it in my pumping the brake, then wipe off any excess.

If it's really not having it, you can try taking the master piston out, removing the seals, then sanding the diameter down a teennyy bit until it slides correctly (push it in and check - make sure you put the spring in! Or you'll have to use the track pump to fire it out again). Lube it up, bleed the brake and try again.

That should sort you out!

Ads

Have you tried cleaning out the master cylinder, you might have some crap in there thats jamming it up. Personally Ive never had any problems with a water bleed; I would be very very suprised if its your seals failed as its neither been long enough and a failing seal wouldnt make the piston stiff - my money is youve got some crap in there :)

I have this, when you pulled your lever in, did it feel like something is grinding against something else? I just fixed it by bleeding with oil again.. Runs smooth as now :).

Edited by Joeee

yeah, sort of, isnt there a really thin oil that will work?? heres a thought, could you bleed it with cooling fluid from a machine shop, its a type of oil that mixes with water. really thin stuff and its lubricating...hmmm

Andrew

yeah, sort of, isnt there a really thin oil that will work?? heres a thought, could you bleed it with cooling fluid from a machine shop, its a type of oil that mixes with water. really thin stuff and its lubricating...hmmm

Andrew

or just get a can of wd40 spray ALOT into a clean pot or a glass or some thing fill the syringe up with it and bleed and hey presto very snappy and sssmmmoothh feeling maggy that is perminantly lubed (Y) works a treat