Broadband Usage

Bluegrass

I've recently got Sky TV along with the free broadband they provide. This 'free' broadband only has a 2MB connection and monthly usage allowance of 2GB.

I'm going to need to upgrade to either the 40GB usage allowance or the unlimited service.

But, how can i estimate how much i actually download? What is considered as downloading....visiting a website, looking at a picture? (along with the obvious downloading music, watching youtube videos)

Myself, brother and both the girlfriends use interent everyday. Watch youtube vids, browse internet a lot, email, basically a lot of use!

But how do i guess if we'll all go over the 40GB monthly allowance?? Trial and error, or just fork out for unlimited allowance?

I've recently got Sky TV along with the free broadband they provide. This 'free' broadband only has a 2MB connection and monthly usage allowance of 2GB.

I'm going to need to upgrade to either the 40GB usage allowance or the unlimited service.

But, how can i estimate how much i actually download? What is considered as downloading....visiting a website, looking at a picture? (along with the obvious downloading music, watching youtube videos)

Myself, brother and both the girlfriends use interent everyday. Watch youtube vids, browse internet a lot, email, basically a lot of use!

But how do i guess if we'll all go over the 40GB monthly allowance?? Trial and error, or just fork out for unlimited allowance?

Well, a typical page on trials-forum is 250kb, but a full one (I.e. 40 replies) can be around 700-800kb.

Email really isn't very much, something like 4kb for a text-only message, less than 50kb for most even with loads of images (E.g. my last Amazon newsletter with all their offers is only 42kb).

Youtube is about 6 mb per minute, ish.

I dunno about you, but I probably would use up a 2Gb allowance on TF alone :ermm:

There are certain programs that can monitor your usage, switch it on for a day and see how much you use? Or just check your network connection if you don't use the network for file sharing/whatever.

Most of which is cached by your browser. So its probably more like ~100k per page ;)

Oh yeah, I forgot to put that. I was thinking it, mind. Actually I was going off my phone because that tells me how big each page is while it's loading. I don't think it caches anything.

Not sure why I told you that.