Front Brake Cable Route

trials_noir

hey folks

some people might think i am a twat and others may think different but here we go anyway.

i was running a font disk and was fed up of the front cable getting caught on the frame if the bars spun round, i would have got one of them BMX headset bolts that the cable runs through the centre but the forks i am using are Echo urbans and the steerer tube is to thick.

so my solution was to drill through the steerer tube and route my cable through their.

let me know what us think, all comments welcome.

post-12485-1207939115_thumb.jpg

post-12485-1207939155_thumb.jpg

Looks nice, pretty neat solution - I'd worry about fatigue cracking in the steerer around the hole you've drilled though. Make sure you've left as clean a surface as possible on the inside of the hole - any sharp burrs or gouges will make it easier for a crack to form. If you can polish or shot peen the surface that'd be a good plan to reduce crack initiation.

In a flat plate with a hole in the centre loaded in tension, the peak stress at the edge of the hole is 3 times the average stress over the remaining area - this could amount to a thousand fold reduction in the number of stress cycles required for a fatigue failure (Thanks to the exponential link between peak stress and number of cycles to failure in modeling fatigue), so I'd inspect it pretty regularly for cracks...

If I have the time later I'll slap a finite element model together to compare the stress in the steerer before and after the hole is drilled...

Looks nice, pretty neat solution - I'd worry about fatigue cracking in the steerer around the hole you've drilled though. Make sure you've left as clean a surface as possible on the inside of the hole - any sharp burrs or gouges will make it easier for a crack to form. If you can polish or shot peen the surface that'd be a good plan to reduce crack initiation.

In a flat plate with a hole in the centre loaded in tension, the peak stress at the edge of the hole is 3 times the average stress over the remaining area - this could amount to a thousand fold reduction in the number of stress cycles required for a fatigue failure (Thanks to the exponential link between peak stress and number of cycles to failure in modeling fatigue), so I'd inspect it pretty regularly for cracks...

If I have the time later I'll slap a finite element model together to compare the stress in the steerer before and after the hole is drilled...

cool, never realy thought about that. cheers for the advice :)

cheers everyone els for the good feed back (Y)

much appreciated