Apple Iphone

JB1

Hello people,

I'm looking for some advice on an Apple Iphone. I have been offered an unlocked iphone which I would like for now to run with my existing Orange contract, does anybody know if I will be able to use the features of the phone? ie. Internet / Email / You Tube.

When my Orange contract runs out at the end of this summer I will be taking out a new O2 contract, as the phone is unlocked will all the features still work on O2?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

You will be able to use all the features, yes. The only thing is the data charges - on O2 you have unlimited data, but on Orange it's REALLY expensive (£8/30mb/month). So as long as you only get your emails/youtube etc via wifi it'll be fine, otherwise expect huge bills.

When you swap to O2, you should be able to get the same tariff that you get with an iPhone (I.e. unlimited data for £35). I think you can probably simply do it via iTunes as if the phone was brand new - and it'll update the software and it will no longer be unlocked. I THINK.

By the way, you can get a NEW 8Gb iPhone for £169 so don't pay more than that (unless it's 16Gb).

Just wondering, where did you get your Iphone unlocked? Online?

You can download an app to do it, or go to jailbreakme.com and it will do it.

I wouldn't bother buying one though as the 3G version is coming out in the next few months, unless you got one in Germany for €99.

If the only upgrade is 3G, I'd happily buy one of the older ones.

Haha you can buy my old 16gb one then in a few weeks :P

Just telling you, not registering an iPhone with an iPhone contract does void your warranty and it's easily checkable. Just making sure you knew.

The £169 deal is good for the 8gb one. Unlocking is easy, google it or as Jon said, use websites such as that. You can get an o2 iPhone sim card issued to you if you want so it's not that hard to go back to the o2 contact if you wanted to although the handset you have will have never been registered with o2 so it's a bit sketchy.

You can download an app to do it, or go to jailbreakme.com and it will do it.

I wouldn't bother buying one though as the 3G version is coming out in the next few months, unless you got one in Germany for €99.

Yeah, however I think if you f*ck it up it just fu*ks the whole Iphone up.. which is quite worrying.. >_< other than that I wouldda bought one if I knew 100% it would be unlocked safely and everything working alright.

i got a 16gb iphone the other week

unlocked using ziphone program (google it) fully easy to do, just plug your iphone in and run the program.

unlocked to all networks etc etc etc using the O2 contract i had before i got it.

if your iphone locks up then all you do is do a hard reset....

hold sleep button and home button until itunes/plug in logo appears, plug in computer then itunes will say that there is an iphone in restore mode

IMPORTANT BIT ---> you must download the appropriate restore file (i.e 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.1.3) from internet and have it somewhere on your computer..

Then ctrl + click (mac) or shift + click (PC) on restore and then locate your restore file and set it going... EASY

i have had no problems whatsoever and it is the best phone i have ever used.

even got video capture, MMS messaging and zoom, burst mode, self timer, black & white etc on the camera now.

so yeah I say if you can get one at a good price from ebay or somewhere then go for it!