Grinding A Dob Rim....can't Get It Sharp!

Alex-Mitchinson

Had my rear Dob rim for about a month now and I've never been able to get a nice sharp grind on it. I've always had a really noisy back brake with a med sharp grind but since I got this mag rim the sharpness is just non-existent! The grind also wears down pretty quickly which I suppose would be expected as it is a softer metal, but even so, for the short amount of time where it isn't worn down...it should be sharp. Pads have always been setup perfectly, perfect bleed and pads aren't worn at an angle. When grinding I normally have the grinder at a 90 degree angle and I recently put a new disk in it which has made a bit of a difference but not as much as I would like.

I have used coust pads, worn plaz and worn snowy's on it and all have been much the same, going to be ordering some Neco pads soon so I'll see how they are but in the meantime....

Is anyone else having this problem? Is it purely down to the fact that the metal is softer?

Edited by Alex-Mitchinson

I used a 1,5 mm cutting disk(would fly around my ears at a standard rim) to grind my dob rim - got an excellent grind! - i use it with white heatsinkpads and my break is unexpected excellent! it´s better than my harsh grinded TryAll was with coust pads. cause of the softness of the white heatsinks, it seems the grind doesn´t go down quick - i have that setup for a few weeks now and didn´t even think about tar or bitumen... the only thing i hate about it is that squeeking noise - sounds like a pig getting slaughtered, never had such a loud noise before...

i managed to get myself a 0.8mm disc. AWESOME, its nice and sharp and im using it with heatsink 08/cnc, nice noise and bite.

i'd advice you to wear safety goggles and a mask if you have 1, as loads of crazy bits fly off, its quite a dangerous grind.. especially magnesium sparks.

steve

I've had a few dob rims grinded up now. The first time I used a sanding disc, the grind looked terrible, but it worked great, and very loud. Then I changed the pads, and it didn't work. lol So I regrinded with a grinding disc, worked okay...but the grind doesn't last long(1.5 weeks?)...

On another rim I had, I did both as well, but it only lasted 1/3 as long(maybe 1-3 days)? So I would assume the rims are all different as far as how soft the metal is. I'd imagine that they'd be fine for comp use, grind once, use for the comp...but not much more than that...

Mine you they're relatively sturdy considering the weight. Harder to flat spot than an echo rim in my experience?

Mine you they're relatively sturdy considering the weight. Harder to flat spot than an echo rim in my experience?

100% agree about the flat spotting thing.

However they buckle sooooooo easy, spokes pulling through is not happy time either. Which is why I'm now back on a V!Z rim for the rear and not looking back.

DOBs are however, mint for front wheels (Y)

DOBs are however, mint for front wheels

Yep! I'm running a DOB on the front, and a META rim on the rear(same as try-all but with harder alu). No problems at all with the front dob rim. I havent had any of my rims have the spokes pull through though...

I've heard many times that they go discoloured when grinded (oxidized?) and I think that's a total myth. I've used two rims in the last 2 months, each grinded. No discoloration.

I'd imagine that they'd be fine for comp use, grind once, use for the comp...but not much more than that...

its worked much longer than that for me with me 0.8mm grinding disc, had it for about 3 weeks now, get one and give it a go, it really does work.

sharpness goes away quickly but because of how thin it is the disc cuts a deeper groove, maybe im not great at grinding i don't know, but for how 'smooth' my dob rim is at the moment its still offering a lot of bite.

steve