Frame Welding

erm...everyone is different but i gueess it wouldnt cost much just for a butt weld over a crack but iff u wanted a plate over it i guess it would be slightly more ask a alluminum fabricator if there is 1 near bye

michael

I do welding and fabricating for a living, it wouldn't cost to much but it all depends on frame material and how big the cracks or splits are. Usually when it comes to cracks in the welding the old welding gets cleaned up (or removed) along with metal around the crack so that it makes for a clean welding area for good penetration of the new weld. As i said not expensive just time consuming for the welder, tryabean is right find your local metal fabricators and pop down with the frame and ask them, whats the worst they can say... sorry cant help you? :)

i had my old frame welded up my dad is able to get hold of a welder he works with so it didnt cost anything, though i found that the position he welded in just put strain on other parts of the bike which caused it to snap in half (yes in half lol) urmm so i think it could well depend on where the crack is and how bad it is. though i do suggest putting a metal plate in just to strengthen everything up. :)

only ever put a plate in if you've covering a big old hole the size of my melon head dude. when welding you are heating up the metal to melting point which does weaken the surrounding area of the weld. Only weld the crack with the same size bead as whats already on the frame. No offense to your dad riddler i don't know what his skills are like with a welder but even if its free people always goto a professional, its cheaper to get a frame welded than it is to buy a new one because someone has botched it. I wouldn't even attempt to weld my frame and ive been welding for 5 years.

the position he welded in just put strain on other parts of the bike which caused it to snap in half (yes in half lol)

that's because the weld shrinks as it cools...which pulls on the material around it...increasing the stress in the frame (everytime you do something you are adding the this stress that's already there)

that's why re-welded frames don't usually last long...if you can get the frame heat treated after welding (PWSR) it will last much much longer. Temperatures needed aren't that high, and if you can actually fit your frame in your oven..you can do it at home..! but then..most people can't fit their frame in the oven :(

when buying a new oven- take your frame along (Y)