Rear Gear Mech Adjustment

JonZebdi

as per title - i have an 8spd cassette and mech on the rear of my bike but at the minute it is running in gear 6 - so you can imagine its fairly difficult to get the drive i need - without having a selector on the bars can you set the mech up to stay in a lower gear so i can get more drive?!

many thanks in advance,

Jon

as per title - i have an 8spd cassette and mech on the rear of my bike but at the minute it is running in gear 6 - so you can imagine its fairly difficult to get the drive i need - without having a selector on the bars can you set the mech up to stay in a lower gear so i can get more drive?!

many thanks in advance,

Jon

Posted in the wrong section, but hey :)

On the back of the mech are 2 little screws, these are the movement range stops and basically limit how far left and right the mech moves - one sets the high stop and one sets the low stop (usually marked with Hi and Lo)

Slacken both screws off until you can pull the mech sideways by hand so that the top jockey wheel is in line with the gear you want to use.

With the mech held in the right place tighten the screws until you start to feel resistance, the mech body will then move as you turn the screw against the stop.

Depending on the design of the mech will depend on which screw you need to adjust to move it left and right, just play around with them till its in the right place. I think tighening the Hi screw will force the mech to run in a lower gear but dont quote me on that. Be aware that if you dont slacken both screws off you risk stripping one of them if they start to tighten against each other.

You can also use an old spoke pulled through the cable clamp and tighened up in place of a normal gear cable :)

wrong section :- - ah bugger - mods can move it to correct section please - just though with it being a question - never mind

Cheers for that though mate - much appreciated - its a shamano mech - not 100% sure which one though - i saw the two screws your on about bud - will have a look at it tonight me thinks - plus its another excuse to get out and ride and get abit more practice in!! hehe!!

Cheers bud,

Jon

If you can't do it with the limit screws (they will only go to a certain point) take an old gear cable and put the top bit that is usually in the shifter on the outer cable breaker on the frame. Then thread it to the deraileur and tension it right to get the gear you want. Works amazingly, did it to a freinds bike when he broke the cable at the bottom.

I used to do that and you're right it works amazingly, but you can still pull it out (like i did) catching it on stuff...

Whats better is to get a standard brake cable (bigger nipple - yum) and just thread it through the little adjuster in the back of the mech, have the nipple just sit in there, and bolt it down. Works exaclty the same but no cable is visible, so can;t get caught etc.

Looks swish, works great and is always useful as you can adjust on the fly etc.........