Riding With Shinnies, Bike Choice, Etc?

OK so im just getting into this proper trials stuff. I used to have a hardtail about 6 months ago but that was stolen. I managed to do back hops and endo whippy things but thats about it. I really want to get properly good at it, however i have some questions:first off, could i get away with using the commencal max max for trials use, and also, does anyone ever use shinguards, I'm basically after a set of lightweight guards that wont get in the way. I have never seen anyone wearing shinnies. seems crazy to me.

Cheers,

BBJ

alot of people do ride with shin gaurds on and the majority of people use 661's

i used to use football ones under my trousers and they were fine i didnt really notice any overheating as such. you have got shin pads on after all so do expect to be a bit warm

as for the bike id say practise on it but save up for a propper trials bike, you'll benefit from the geo alot more and progress alot quicker

as for the bike go with what ever it is you have got then save up and buy a trials bike then you will find anyhting you have been struggling with will feel easier and give you a boost in confidence.

shin pad wise 661 veggie pads work perefect i tend to forget im wearing them and they fit nicely under any jeans that you dont need to use lubrication to get into

sweet, cheers guys. RE the max max i dont actually own one but they are damn cheap [ive seen them for £200] and thought they might do as an all-rounder. I used to use my 16" coyote dual bike for trials but yeah, that one got nicked. The only bike i own now is my giant glory, however being a DH bike i cant really do much in the way of trials on it[hasnt stopped me from trying though].

ok so the verdict is to buy a dedicated trials bike. what wheel size would you guys suggest? i'm used to 26's and feel most comfortable on them [hate 24s] however many people have told me to get a bike on 20"s.

and RE the shinnies it would seem that the veggies are the way forward, cheers for clearing that one up.

Thanks for the replies.

Quite a lot of people wear shin pads,

I used to but realised that they make my legs WAY to hot and sweaty,

And the pain of a shin dig doesn't last long.

"661 Veggie Shin Wraps" are good shin pads,

Have a look on www.chainreactioncycles.com for them.

:)

It does with me, not the pain, but i only ever seem to twat them hard enough to scratch my leg open to the bone and then its a few weeks of constant cleaning and making sure it doesn't get infected and having to wear shin pads over the top so i don't hit it again in the same place and cause even more damage. The shin pads also get hot an sweaty which introduces bacteria and makes it not so pleasant at all. If ever i did stop wearing shin pads during riding, i'd replace them with a hook needle and some thread so i can stitch my leg back together mid-ride.

It is easier to just wear shin pads most of the time. So what if your leg gets hot and sweaty, its not like your t-shirt doesn't either.

true. im not so fussed about the sweat, more the fact that they might restrict movemenyt/ get in the way. the shinnies i have at the mo are some pro- tec bmx jobbies which are huge and must be designed for arctic riding cos they heat up real quick.

true. im not so fussed about the sweat, more the fact that they might restrict movemenyt/ get in the way. the shinnies i have at the mo are some pro- tec bmx jobbies which are huge and must be designed for arctic riding cos they heat up real quick.

The veggies i find are hardly restrictive at all. They're made of wetsuit material (neoprene) so are completely flexible except for a small insert in the middle of the front shin-bone section that stops the pedals hitting your leg so much.

Just as a kind of warning,

The Veggies don't completely stop the pain, but do take the initial whack away from it.

But they don't rescrict movement being as they don't cover any bodily joints.

They do stop pins from cutting your flesh though. Which is the only reason i wear them. I don't mind getting hit on the shin really hard and getting a bruise/bump... i do mind having a gaping line on my leg though.

yeah thats fair enough. i dont mind the cuts and resulting scars, it means you have something to show for the initial pain etc...

i think i used some veggies once come to think of it. they were a bit on the small side cos they belonmged to my ex but they seemed to be ok.

any ideas about the wheel choice btw?

if your used to 26" wheel bikes go for a stock then you will feel more comphatable on it from the start.

also veggies do save your legs a lot, mine have a big gash in the side and they take a bit to rip so without them i would of had to have a major amount if stiches to the side of my leg so i thank god that i put them on that day.

I just use regular nike football shin pads.

Suer light, mine have a ankle guard(this also stops them from spinning around your shin), they have bigish holes in them, therefore helping with keeping your legs cooled.

Edited by liamyc

Bikerbumjon,

Edit that last post or the topic will be closed.

how do i edit that post? there isnt an edit button as with other posts I've done. Don't want this to be deleted but canny work out how to edit it.

and i see about the mod and stocks. i ought to change my ride info then.

Edited by bikerbumjon