Advice On Tennants Vs Land Lords

Elliot

Hey all,

So recently moved out from a place where me and my ex lived. Cleaned before we went and didn't hear anything back until we tried to get the deposit of of the national deposit system (whatever its called). Then spoke to the landlady who told me that she had the lettings agencey take an inventory, they recommended a cleaner which the landlady agreed to and paid £120 for. Now she is refusing the release of our deposit unless we agree to pay the £120. I object to this because we were not informed of the issue (and so not given a chance to recifty), and we did not agree to spending £120 on a cleaner (I would have just gone back round and cleaned some more, but was fine as far as I'm concerned). She wants me to speak to the letting agency and get this sorted. I will later today, but do any of you know anything about my rights?

As far as I'm concerned, they acted without informing me, and expect me to pay for work I have not agreed to. I'll threaten them with small claims court and see what they say.

Thanks guys & gals

e.

Not too sure personally, but you can always speak to someone at the citizen's advice bureau, they seem to be on the ball for things like this.

Thanks, I will do. I just wondered if anyone has been in a similar situation?

I look after my dads flats in the summer and we have this quite often. One flat in question was left pretty tidy, floors and tops were clean, but the walls and stuff were really dirty and on the doors where you grab them when there half open there was dirty marks, not loads, just enough to notice, and the walls had loads of dirt marks on them. These are top end new build flats so they all needed to be immaculate before the next tenants move in. The pretens could have spent a couple of hours with a wet cloth rubbing them off, but prob either couldnt be bothered or more likely didnt think they were that bad.

It answer to your question depends how you left the place, and some peoples idea of clean if very different to other peoples. If you were a common tenant, you have probably lost that deposit there is very little legal legislation protecting common tenants, if you were a private tenant you need proof that you cleaned it, pictures and stuff. The other thing is to offer (which is what we do) is to go round with her, and she can show you where it was dirty and you offer to clean it, or source your own cleaner?

Good luck!

Edited by M-i-t-c-h

I'm pretty sure you won't have a leg to stand on I'm afraid. Landlords are bastards like that. Plus if they've already paid for a cleaner they're going to be reluctant to give you the money back. In my experience you always lose a few quid from deposits - a ball ache but that's how it is.

Good luck with Citizens' Advice though.

...The other thing is to offer (which is what we do) is to go round with her, and she can show you where it was dirty and you offer to clean it, or source your own cleaner?....

This is the thing, rather than giving me a call and saying that she has an issue and giving me the chance to sort it, she just pays £120 for cleaners and expects me to foot the bill without any prior consultantion with me.

I shall duck out to the Citizens Adivce Bureau and let you know how it goes.

I used to work as a lettings agent...

Why didn't you go to the flat / house when the inventory was being done? Didnt they at least give you a copy of the inventory when you went for your check in? That way you wouldn't've run into problems when you came to check out.

We always make sure the tenant is available to attent the inventory make before check in and again on check out.

I'm guessing you weren't made aware of a professional clean being done or an inventory... I'd speak to the letting agency to find out why. Then go to CAB to find out where you stand now that you're out.

Sorry I can't be more helpful but it's a tricky one now that you're not still in the property.

Get all the paperwork you have and make copies before you go to the CAB or Letting agents, make copies of every piece of paperwork you get from anyone regarding this and make sure you take a FULL name and contact number / email address of everyone you speak to and make notes of when you spoke to them.

This might help...

Housing Act 1988

You might have to do a fair bit of reading but it's worth it. The way it's written is really hard to understand so I'd advise reading it a couple of time... it'll take a while but well worth it if you get your money sorted.

Good luck mate, let me know how you get on

(Y)

I used to work as a lettings agent...

Why didn't you go to the flat / house when the inventory was being done? Didnt they at least give you a copy of the inventory when you went for your check in? That way you wouldn't've run into problems when you came to check out.

We always make sure the tenant is available to attent the inventory make before check in and again on check out.

I'm guessing you weren't made aware of a professional clean being done or an inventory... I'd speak to the letting agency to find out why. Then go to CAB to find out where you stand now that you're out.

Sorry I can't be more helpful but it's a tricky one now that you're not still in the property.

Get all the paperwork you have and make copies before you go to the CAB or Letting agents, make copies of every piece of paperwork you get from anyone regarding this and make sure you take a FULL name and contact number / email address of everyone you speak to and make notes of when you spoke to them.

This might help...

Housing Act 1988

You might have to do a fair bit of reading but it's worth it. The way it's written is really hard to understand so I'd advise reading it a couple of time... it'll take a while but well worth it if you get your money sorted.

Good luck mate, let me know how you get on

(Y)

I wasn't given the option of attending the inventory, and I thought the flat was in a fit state, certainly everything was there that was there when we moved in and it was clean.

Thanks for the advice though dude, I'll give the housing act a read tonight.