Looking For A Bike

d8mok

Hi, my first post so go easy. I' looking at getting a trials bike again. I've currently got a spooky jump bike, and a specialized stumpjumper for xc but i'm wanting to get back into trials having previously owned two monty's ( a 219 xhydra and a 231 xlite).

I'm looking for a nice well loked after 26 inch wheel bike with no seat. something like a monty, or zoo pitbull.

How come i cant respond to any of the for sale ads?

Edited by d8mok

well, if you read the rules, you are a new member. No buying selling or wanting for any new members, and you can only post in NMC until you get validated.

Might be worth editing your post to sound less like your after a second hand bike, and more looking for advice on a new bike ;)

well, if you read the rules, you are a new member. No buying selling or wanting for any new members, and you can only post in NMC until you get validated.

Might be worth editing your post to sound less like your after a second hand bike, and more looking for advice on a new bike ;)

ok. cheers. kinda a daft rule cos how can someone get into the sport without a bike? so i guess i'll come back when i've bought one. cheers anyway

Well the validation is so that (I guess) the forum doesn't get alot of spammed threads and people that dont care about trials, and so on.

Tom was only saying that you should edit your a post and keep to the guidlines so that you can be validated faster and then go on buying, selling in the full forum.

sorry for that, hope it helps you understand.

Not heard of a thing called ebay!?

If not, the website is www.ebay.co.uk

Try

www.trias-uk.co.uk

www.tartybikes.co.uk

And read the rules!

What a helpful bunch of guys u lot are. All i wanted to do were buy a bike off someone who takes care of it rather than a abused one off ebay. To be fair though i expect ur probably 15 and havent got a clue how the real world works and were a little mad cos ur maths teacher wanted u to do sums for homework.

So has anyone got any helpful advice of where to find a looked after bike? looking to spend upto 1k on the right bike.

think you seem a little uptight to be honest mate - the rules are there for a reason and to be fair they a good set of rules

but - anywho - get yourself validated and there are loads of bikes in the fo-sale section and if the one you are looking at goes before you get validated i am more than sure there will be another exactly like or VERY similar within a few days - there constantly seems to be a good flow of bikes and frames here

keep your cool, post where you can and show the staff that you are going to be a good member of the site and you will get validated quick and then be able to go for the bike/frame you want - argumentative attitude will get you knowhere on TF - sorry mate

Jon

What a helpful bunch of guys u lot are. All i wanted to do were buy a bike off someone who takes care of it rather than a abused one off ebay. To be fair though i expect ur probably 15 and havent got a clue how the real world works and were a little mad cos ur maths teacher wanted u to do sums for homework.

So has anyone got any helpful advice of where to find a looked after bike? looking to spend upto 1k on the right bike.

Put yourself in this position. You've been on the forum a while, have a really nice bike that you've looked after well and are looking to sell or exchange for whatever reason. If the rule about no buying and selling for new members wasn't there you could have some randomer come along from anywhere, offer to buy it and send a dodgy paypal payment, bouncing cheque, claim the bike never turned up etc. and then your pride and joy is gone and you might be out of pocket too. Hardly fair is it? Instead we give new members a chance to earn their trust before posting in the for sale and wanted sections and while it might not be 100% foolproof still, it deters a lot of the people who can't be arsed signing up and then having to get validated just to get some quick cash.

It is always possible to add whoever is selling what your after to msn and see if you can sort out a deal with them outside of the forum. This is riskier for both parties but it does happen.

Danny and tom have put a lot of time and effort into the forum and as such, if they want to make it a safer place they can do. To be honest, if you don't take a glimpse at the rules that are so obviously explained at the top of the page then ask a question about how you can't sell, you deserve generic replies. Trying to be cocky back makes you look 100 times cooler though so congrats with that (Y)

I dont want to seem like a "brown nose" but it actually seems like a really good idea the whole validation process. I've joined a lot of forums through the years for one thing and another and they always seem to get swamped with people trying to spoil a good thing or trick people out of there money.

ok i take on board ur points but who is more likely to want to buy a bike for sale? somebody who has one and has been a member for a while or a new comer ? surely the newby is more likely to want to buy a nice bike to learn on. And being a member of a forum doesnt gurantee that the seller wont get ripped off and to be honest if the seller is stupid enough to get into a situation that he/she could end up being ripped off they probably deserve it.

I never really get forums that put off potential new members and tar everyone with the same brush. All i am is a guy wanting to get back into trials after a few years of not doing it and its kinda hard work to find a nice bike.

As a very active member of many car/motorbike forums i'm always first to greet new members but kinda feel some responses were a bit negative of this one and its a shame cos it looks like a well set up forum.

All my original post stated was that i'm looking at buying a new bike and if anyone had one for sale i'd be interested. I've got the money sat waiting and could collect in person so no chance of anyone getting ripped off and i'm in the market to do a deal now. I thought that maybe some of the members who are selling bikes would have liked to sell their bike to someone a bit older who can travel and pay cash straight away , my only downfall being that i'm not a full member of this forum.

Anyway rant over and i apoligize i came across aggressive or anything.

On a seperate subject, is koxx, zoo or monty regarded as the best manufactuer of 26 inch wheeled bikes?

dont use msn mate so thats kinda impossible for me. I'll post on here for a while and if by the time i get full member usage i havent got one i can start looking in the fr sale bit. Ebay seems to have a few but kinda look a bit tatty. I've now decided to spend a little less as for around 4-500 quid it looks like u can get a good bike.

dont use msn mate so thats kinda impossible for me. I'll post on here for a while and if by the time i get full member usage i havent got one i can start looking in the fr sale bit. Ebay seems to have a few but kinda look a bit tatty. I've now decided to spend a little less as for around 4-500 quid it looks like u can get a good bike.

Get their msn address and just send the a good old email then?

I can see how you would be annoyed, a lot of people are, but you have to remember this sport is largely made up of teenage boys, who probably don't think everything through before making a sale. I can see how you yourself would be able to spot the majority of scams but other people might not. Its not hard for someone to send one of those bouncing paypal payments, whereby the money clears into the recipients account and then bounces a week or so later, leaving the seller out of pocket. So unfortunately, if you don't stick around until you become a member then your only options are emails/msn, ebay and local newspaper/adverts.

As your buying i don't think there'd be too many people who would worry about you sending the payment to them and then sending out the bike, and if they have good feedback on here (ebay style ratings are given) then you should be fairly safe with the purchase too. Although you have to remember this is usually discouraged on this forum.

A bit of advice as well, you might want to look into what sort of geometry you want from the bike. If you've been away for a while you might not be aware that a lot of these bikes nowadays have very large amounts of bb rise, which gives them a very different feel to how bikes used to ride. The more extreme versions (+55-60mm) tend to feel a lot like pogo sticks, in thats they get onto the back wheel easy enough and balance easily on the rear wheel, but don't have the correct geometry for an "all round" kind of bike. Most people seem to go for medium bb heights (+20-40mm) As they get the good rear wheel response along with the ability to mix things up a bit with moves other than sidehops and rear wheel gaps.

Theres a very nice adamant A2 for sale at the minute for around £450 in the for sale chat, this would be a good example of a high bb bike.

Also an echo control, which is a nice strong low bb frame that would be very suited to bunnyhops, manuals as well as all the trials moves. With around +10mm bb rise its regarded as a very nice frame.

cheers for the advice mate. i didnt realise about the bb height. Most of the riding i used to do were on the rear wheel and some high drops etc.

I had magura brakes on my monty and to be honest i had nothing but trouble. How come u guys still use them? i thought that everyone would be on discs by now?

There is a bike for sale in the classifieds for 300 quid for a user named fat knacker tom. whats this bike like?

My current spooky has hope discs and my stumpjumper has avid 7 discs so good brakes are important, as also is the weight as i'm wanting a light bike.