Grind Life?

forteh

Is it possible to make a grind last longer with a different technique?

My last grind went dull in about a week (maybe 6-7 hours riding) but it wasnt a particularly good grind to start with (had the grinder at quite a shallow angle so wasnt very sharp). For a while I had a booster on and the brake was too stiff and not holding, would this wear the grind out quicker or will it wear just as quick without a booster?

I am going to try another grind to see if it lasts longer; Im going to keep the disk at 90 degrees to the rim as per krisboats excellent video and hopefully it will work better.

Its a tryall rim with cnc reds, Im aiming for a light, sharp grind - any pointers or tips? :)

Beers in advance :D

The disk you use makes a bug difference,

I used to use stone cutting disks and the grinds they gave never lasted long,

Metal cutting disks are the ones to use.

And the angle at which you hold the grinder will affect it too, a 90o angle to the rim will give a deeper, longer lasting grind.

The disk you use makes a bug difference,

I used to use stone cutting disks and the grinds they gave never lasted long,

Metal cutting disks are the ones to use.

And the angle at which you hold the grinder will affect it too, a 90o angle to the rim will give a deeper, longer lasting grind.

Got a brand new 1mm metal cutting disk sitting on the desk in front of me, will borrow a grinder tonight and have a play :)

don't drag the brake...at all...on off..on off...

takes getting used to!

I very rarely use the rear brake for more than 1/4 - 1/2 sec. at a time when rolling, most of it is done with the front disk :)

Do tryalls actually hold grinds? I heard from somewhere ages ago that theyre softer aluminium than others and dont hold grinds as long, any got any experiences?

How long should a grind last typically?

Just ground the rim and it looks something like this :)

grind.jpg

What would you classify that as with regards to harshness? I didnt put too much pressure on the grinder so its not very deep. Not tested it yet properly because my right arm is dead and I need to rest it for a day or so, a quick hop round the garden gave a loud honk and decentish bite, pads wont have worn into it yet though.

I ALWAYS USE TRYALL RIMS......i was running the cnc reds on a try all rim for months and months .....the cnc reds work best on a medium sharp grind with the tryall rims.....i use a 2mm metal cutting disc....@ 90....with a little force behind the grinder (Y)

light grinds are a naeeee for reds im affraid.....it will offer plenty of bite but hold wise is just OK

The grind you have appears to be fine though (Y)

give the pads 2 hours of riding

Dave x

I ALWAYS USE TRYALL RIMS......i was running the cnc reds on a try all rim for months and months .....the cnc reds work best on a medium sharp grind with the tryall rims.....i use a 2mm metal cutting disc....@ 90....with a little force behind the grinder (Y)

About how Ive done it apart from I used a 1mm disk :)

light grinds are a naeeee for reds im affraid.....it will offer plenty of bite but hold wise is just OK

The grind you have appears to be fine though (Y)

Yay :D

I would say its a sharp medium but I dont have much to compare against :(

give the pads 2 hours of riding

Dave x

2 hours to bed in or 2 hours life? :D

normally takes a little while for the brake to become the best it can with a fresh grind. the old gunk wears off the pads, and the excess aluminium shards wear off quite quickly, and the brake settles down.

a good trials specific pad like any colour bloxx, heatsinks or coustellier pads will work very well, and the pads will last a couple of months if you ride a lot. the grind may last longer or shorter, really depends on what you ride. if you drag your brake a lot in mud the grind will wear down, but if you're a TGS street rider that rides in the dry, the grind and pads will last longer...

normally takes a little while for the brake to become the best it can with a fresh grind. the old gunk wears off the pads, and the excess aluminium shards wear off quite quickly, and the brake settles down.

a good trials specific pad like any colour bloxx, heatsinks or coustellier pads will work very well, and the pads will last a couple of months if you ride a lot. the grind may last longer or shorter, really depends on what you ride. if you drag your brake a lot in mud the grind will wear down, but if you're a TGS street rider that rides in the dry, the grind and pads will last longer...

cheers for that, it explains alot (Y)

Nick

Managed to get out on the new grind for a couple of hours tonight, bite and hold are awesome going forwards but when going up onto the edge of things (when the brake is effectively accting backwards) the hold isnt as good and slipped a fair amount. When I ground the rim I was holding the grinder in my right hand and sweeping it anticlockwise with the open face of the disk facing the direction I was sweeping in, I did both sides of the rim in the same way. Could this affect the directional efficieancy of the brake? :)