Bleeding Problem

Jimmy_c

Having trouble bleeding my magura. Once i bleed the brake and pull on the lever the pads dont move and it is as if there is no oil in the system! Ive used the search.

Could someone point out my mistakes in the following or give me some tips/hints:-

Iam going to use Oil.

The Setup

Will these work together??

Echo cnc complete lever

Standard magura hosing

Standard magura cylinders (these have been cleaned out)

Hope braided crossover

What I did

Attached clear tube to lever

Attached clear tube to slave cylinder (tube and syringe already full with oil)

Pushed oil though system

Checked for air in clear tube attached to lever

I was happy that there was no air in tube

Removed clear tube from lever (when i took the tube off the lever oil came out, but i was unsure weather this was from the tube on the lever)

Removed clear tube from slave cylinder

Obvisouly did up the bleed bolt and grub screw.

As far as iam aware ive done what the wiki said to do!

Also as iam using a cnc complete lever (grub screw is on the bottom) which way should i mount the lever to bleed it as for HS33 levers you should mount so it is pointing forward. Would this have an effect on the bleed?

Thanks

James

you shouldn't have any problems but try tightening everything espesially the cross-over, and your probably better using water as you can really experiment if your having leaks. make sure your not letting the syringe empty and have ago without using the top clear tube coming out of the lever and then whilst the water (not oil) is coming out start putting the bleed nipple in whilst there is pressure being applied to the syringe (Y) don't worry you'll get there

Nick

Edited by Nickkkkk

What I did

Attached clear tube to lever

Attached clear tube to slave cylinder (tube and syringe already full with oil)

Pushed oil though system

Checked for air in clear tube attached to lever

I was happy that there was no air in tube

Removed clear tube from lever (when i took the tube off the lever oil came out, but i was unsure weather this was from the tube on the lever)

Removed clear tube from slave cylinder

Obvisouly did up the bleed bolt and grub screw.

Also as iam using a cnc complete lever (grub screw is on the bottom) which way should i mount the lever to bleed it as for HS33 levers you should mount so it is pointing forward. Would this have an effect on the bleed?

You need to make sure that the bleed hole is at the highest point, so all the air comes out, also as soon as you remove the lever tube, put the grub screw back in.

Edited by Mark King

Bleed from bottom to top so the air can rise, try have the lever hole at its highest, and make sure the TPA is fully wound out

to get the most oil in the system as possible.

I cant think of anything else, i just bled mine this week.

Right thanks for the help guys!

Ive manged to bleed the brake (with water) but still doesnt feel right, ive set the brake up with the pads about 2mm away from the rim. Have to turn the tpa in quite abit, brake works, feels soft and spongey, think its bit weak if you get what i mean. lever comes quite far in aswell.

Checked for leaks seem to be ok at the moment!

Does this mean i have air in the tube?

thanks again!

James

Try pumping the lever while pushing water through with the syringe from the bottom with the outlet open... Sometime this clear air bubbles out of the lever. Make sure the lever outlet is at the highest point in the brake and make sure you displace fluid from the brake while screwing in the plugs at each end of the system (It's mostly been said already). Check that the master piston in the lever is returning the full way when the lever is released too - sometimes it's slow to move the last mm back, leaving slack in the TPA adjustment.