160mm Or 170mm Cranks?

Ryan-Trials

I've got 170's but feel with my current gear ratio (20:16) theres not quite enough power to the cranks so i could use shorter arms to sort this out.

Shorter arms will generally give a little more power, more ground clearence and also if you're at all interested in weight saving, they will help. Longer arms will make it easier to pedal and possibly make the bike feel a little more stable.

If you're riding 165's though i wouldnt worry about changing too much. Spend your money on something that'll make more of an improvement to your riding.

Do you ride mod or stock?

Anything stock is generally no lower then 170mm.

I'm running 160mm on my mod, and they are fine for me, however my friend swears by his 170mm's and apparently can get mroe leverage from them.

This being correct, the leverage would make the gearing lower which in some cases could be quite beneficial.

shorter cranks give you abit more balance as you are closer together i think. longer cranks are better if your wanting more leverage (Y) . If your running 165mm i'd keep to that because it is what you are used to. My mate changed his cranks by 5mm and it took him about a week to get used to. Thats not along time but it is in terms of getting used to a component.

Nick

shorter cranks give you abit more balance as you are closer together i think. longer cranks are better if your wanting more leverage (Y) . If your running 165mm i'd keep to that because it is what you are used to. My mate changed his cranks by 5mm and it took him about a week to get used to. Thats not along time but it is in terms of getting used to a component.

Nick

Yeh, what he said.

My brother's T-Lite came with 170mm cranks, they were so gash, they felt about 4 feet long.

I run 158mm Monty TIs, and they are absolutely spot on. My brother now has 160mm Echo Forged and I can tell the difference, the Montys feel slightly nicer to me.