Bb And Cranks

Rob Brodie

hey guys,

im looking to get some new cranks and bottom bracket (isis) a combination of light and durable, so at the moment im thinking:-

Try-all cranks and im thinking a Trialtech bb

il be running a front freewheel and i want 160 mm cranks (165mm at the very most)

ive got a fair bit of money but not loads (around £130)

all help is well appreciated

cheers

..rob..

p.s im wondering if this is a good combo or if anyone thinks otherwise ect

Edited by Rob Brodie

lol. na im a weight weeney and ive had no problems what so ever with fw :)

thanks for your help anyway bud

..rob..

You do realise a King setup is only 27g heavier than a Try-All 116 H/Try-All freewheel, with all other parts identical?

Front freewheel is where its at.

But yeah, Try-All Cranks + Trialtech BB = Winner.

I wouldn't go for 160 cranks though personally... More like 165/170 for a mod. I run 175s on my stock :-

But freewheel over king because - The weight is more balanced. Rather than lugging around a heavy back end, more weight is at the cranks/the middle of the bike. Just feels nicer to me...

You'll buy a lot of front freewheel for the price of a King hub, and front freewheels need a lot less minding (None so far with my ENO) to stay working perfectly. Only disadvantage to front freewheel is that the chain is moving while you're freewheeling, so the drivetrain will pick up more grass if you're rolling through long grass or if you're wearing baggy pants, you're guaranteed to get sucked in at some stage... If you're running a ratio bigger than 1:1 a rear freehub will have less crank rotation between freewheel clicks (Not a major difference on a stock bike, might be noticeable on a mod)...

BUMP

Maybe so, but I've already got a King, and the weight difference is so minor it doesnt bother me.

You'll buy a lot of front freewheel for the price of a King hub, and front freewheels need a lot less minding (None so far with my ENO) to stay working perfectly.

Owned two kings, all in all for a total of about 3 years and never had to service them. It's good practise to service them once every 6 months though IMO.

37g*

What rest?! :P

I might have forgotten front sprocket in that spreadsheet I did but the rest seems alright to me :P

EDIT: Considering you're on here most of your day anyway, why don't you weigh up the appropriate parts and put an end to my 37 grams claim :P

Edited by Mark King