Spray Painting A Frame

Ben H!

You're talking about two different things here - anodising is a harder protective layer that is applied to bare aluminium. Well actually, it's more like a surface reaction which prevents further oxidation. When you get brightly coloured shiny aluminium components, they have generally been anodised. I'm pretty sure this is not an easy DIY task.

People do spray paint frames, but I understand it's pretty easy to make a bog of it if you don't know what you're doing, and spray paint doesn't give a very durable finish. Try asking at your local bike shop if they could powder coat it - that would be the smartest looking solution probably.

I'd seriously consider whether you need it doing at all - bikes get scratched - and it will be really annoying first time you scrape if you have paid to get it painted/ spent ages doing it yourself.

If it's for a Monty or Koxx, don't bother. Your £40ish of powder coated investment will be worthless after you crack the frame. Same goes for spraying. Plus not many places would strip and prepare your frame for you for free so it's going to cost.

Get a can of spray and do it your self.

If you insist of doing a decent job, use the search button and read up on spray prepin' ect.

[edit]

Powder coating cost me 60 grams on my Triton. So if your into weight shredding also avoid. But thick ass powder coats are the most durable.

Edited by eskimo

You can chemically strip the old paint and primer off yourself with some tine and a small wire brush if you insist on spraybombing your frame yourself or taking it to a pro. The others are right. pretty hard to get a good finish with that stuff.

Do some research into proper primers for aluminum too. The spray can primer you can buy at any store doesn't work so well on aluminum. Take my word for it.

One option to consider is an auto paint shop. I have had friends shoot the job's leftovers onto frames for me with great results. They generally don't care because they're gonna toss the paint in the gun out when they're done shooting anyway. Only problem is you have to have it ready to go and you're generally reserved to whatever colors they may be using that day.

Good luck!

hi.i just finished spraying my frame white.

the finish is ok i suppose.if youre doing it yourself youve gotta

sand it really well and when youre spraying it watch out for drips :(

if you get a drip dont just keep going and think it will get filled in

because it wont wait for it to dry and sand it off.

but if you are doing it yourself its great fun :P

(oh and make sure you get good quality spray paint)

hi.i just finished spraying my frame white.

the finish is ok i suppose.if youre doing it yourself youve gotta

sand it really well and when youre spraying it watch out for drips :(

if you get a drip dont just keep going and think it will get filled in

because it wont wait for it to dry and sand it off.

but if you are doing it yourself its great fun :P

(oh and make sure you get good quality spray paint)

could you take a pic of the finish please :)

If it is decent i may consider spraying mine :S

glad u like it so are u gna have a go ur self??

A guy around the conner from me sprays cars and motorbikes. So i might try and get him to spray it with the leftovers of whatever he is using sometime soon, but i doubt he would paint a car bright orange like im after :S but im going to find out see if he can do it for a few quid if not then i may aswell have a go, if it doesnt work ill just sand it off and try until it does :P

your frame looks really good actually jack

there is a spray painting bodywork shop down the road from my house, so i'll probably just ask them to do it for me. i'll have to get my new frame first before i can spray it though cheers everyone for the comments