Removing Rim Paint

Headley

WTF i don't see why it would even leave a mark on the rim.

It's the only thing that came up on the search and I can't think of anywhere else that might sell caustic soda where I live. Plus a lot of drain cleaning products are usually caustic soda solutions.

Edited by Headley

Mr Muscle works apparantly, never done it myslef though. Spray it on, leave it for an hour or so, check on it, repeat until shiney silver.

Yeah that works

Make sure it's Mr. Myscle OVEN CLEANER.

But when it finished removing the coating on the rim it doesn't leave it shiny silver,

It left a really crappy blacky/greyish finish.

So it's wise to sand it and wire wool it after.

:)

First off - is it paint or anodising? I think all the tips given have been for removing anodising and not paint. I'm not sure what will strip paint from aluminium and not damage the aluminium. Try nitromors or a heat gun if it's paint. DOT fluid also works as paint stripper...

First off - is it paint or anodising? I think all the tips given have been for removing anodising and not paint. I'm not sure what will strip paint from aluminium and not damage the aluminium. Try nitromors or a heat gun if it's paint. DOT fluid also works as paint stripper...

The rims are anodized, hence everyone has given tips for removing anodizing, because they are anodized, anodized.

Nitromors removes paint.

Its easy as pie.

It depends on the concentration of the caustic soda solution and the thickness of the anodising. Best thing to do is apply it to somewhere on the rim that won't be seen (The inside where the rim tape sits is good for this) and wipe some of it off every hour, leaving the rest coated until you get a result you like, then coat the exposed parts of the rim and leave it for that long before cleaning it off... Since you're aiming for bare aluminium you don't need to be that scientific though, any unevenness should come out as you polish the rim afterwards.

Well aluminium will just be a dull grey after stripping it, so you could polish with Autosol/brasso then laquer to kep the shine or just re-polish every now and again.

Alu oxidizes but it won't 'rust' through like steel will so theres no problems with leaving it bare.