Problems Mounting Bashguard

Rusty190

I have problems mounting a GU bashguard on my bike.

bashring-blk.jpg

I have this Bottom bracket:

Truvativ Gigapipe DH

Taken from tartybikes: "- Clears all models of freewheels, but may not fit with some setups using a bashring"

truvativ%20gp%20team%20sl%20bb.jpg

Cranks are off!
gu_01.jpg

TryAll freewheel.

gu_03.jpg
gu_04.jpg
gu_05.JPG

But what now? Where is the bashguard supposed to be mounted? The freewheel seem to be too wide for the bashguard to fit? Or should I use the tool with the freewheel? Im not sure the crank will be mounted since small space?

All help is much appreciated!

/Rusty

Not 100% what the question actually is... You will have to remove the freewheel from your cranks first using the tool. The bashring will then slide onto the threaded part of the crank and then you will refit the freewheel. With my setup (Echo forged/ENO/GU bashring) I (that is Adam ;)) ground the raised section at the centre of the bashguard down a bit to increase clearance. That might help matters.

Thanks mates i´ll try doing this your way! Im just afraid loosing the crank because of the short distance on the threaded part on it. Maybe some grounding of the bashguard is the best way of saving space!

Also, wich way should I screw to loose the freewheel? :

gu_03.jpg

Thanks!!

Thank you Adam! However...I didn´t succeed very well, it´s a really tough job getting it off... tried vice, +some heat, tools+long pipe, didn´t help... I will hand it over to my local bikes serviceman as I think I just will break the wheel... =)

Thanks

Yes, it will be VERY tight, when you pedal it tightens the freewheel on... you need to bolt the tool into the freewheel, put the tool in a large vice, and then use a 1m long pipe to twist the crank arm away from the freewheel... does that make sense?

I took mine down to cycles-UK and they done it for me, they put the crank in a vice with freewheel facing up then one of them pushed on the tool and the other had to use a headset tool that costs like £90 to get good grip and that on it to get it of.

Loctite should stop corrosion between the aluminium crank and the steel freewheel, so it may have actually helped as the freewheel wouldn't have been as firmly bonded to the crank in the first place - I just slap copper grease onto joints like that...

Edited by psycholist

Yes, it will be VERY tight, when you pedal it tightens the freewheel on... you need to bolt the tool into the freewheel, put the tool in a large vice, and then use a 1m long pipe to twist the crank arm away from the freewheel... does that make sense?

YES! =) that makes sense! I did get it off weehoo =) The bolt through the crank and the freewheel helped a lot! No hand needed pushing down the crank or the tool while trying to twist. I found a 2,5 m long pipe to twist it off, what a feeling! Now the bashguard is mounted, seem to fit well!!

(I went to my local bicycleshop, only selling racers though, so he didn´t had the best tools for the job =)

Thanks again!

Edited by Rusty190