V-brakes With Wide Trials Rims

mike425

So i recently bought myself a set of plazmatics with the cnc backings. Up to this point I have always had shimanoe pads in my V's, I never really thought of this when I orded but due to the depth of the plaz pads(The brake pad itself along with the cnc backing) the arms on my XTR brake are now stuck out silly far. Im running a 43mm rim which doesnt help. Any one else had this issue? I keep catching my ankle on the brake arms which is getting really annoying!

Mike

A friend of mine sorted this (More or less) by taking all the washers that sit inside the brake arm and putting them outside it. This will force the brake pad to sit against the brake arm. If you're lucky it will hit the rim acceptably to allow you to brake properly. If not you'll have to put spacers between the brake pad and the brake arm to change the pad angle (The guy I know uses segments of a washer).

The more expensive options would be to buy different brakes that accommodate the offset (Not sure if they exist, though some brakes are definitely better than others for not catching your ankles) or get a 4 bolt Magura mount frame and fit these: http://www.onza.com/v2/products/p+a/brakes/005.html with the brake mount set as far out as possible.

Are you using vee-daptors on your frame? Or do you have actual vee mounts?

As you can move the vee-daptors futher out from the rim, so the arms can be straighter...

If you've got actual vee mounts, umm you have tried changing the spacers/washers around on the pads right? As one 'side' usually has smaller spacers - so run these on the side next to the pads.

Other than that you can only;

1. cut the pads down

2. get a thinner rim

neither of those are very helpful :P

But you could get a longer bottom bracket? So your ankles don't catch on the arms :)