Rear Hub Help

Webber

OK, so I brought a MAD Phase 1.2 recently and i have been recormended to change the rear hub as the current one found on the bike is not to good.

So I went on Tartybikes for a browse and found the rear hubs. I dont really have to much to spend on one, so I found these which looked the perfect price(the top 5):

http://tartybikes.co.uk/search.php?category_id=148

But I was just curious as to whether anyone had used one and could lend their knowledge. Would this hub be reliable, strong etc. And they all look the same but which would be the best to go for?

Thanks

James

Do a search - most people link the use of these hubs to a requirement for reconstructive dentistry in your near future. A friend of mine had his one fail when the ratchet ring came loose in the hub body, allowing it to spin forward even with the freewheel engaged. It was replaced under warranty and the new one is working fine so far (Though the frame was retired a few weeks ago when a brake mount ripped off). Chris King are the standard all trials hub aspire to, I run an ENO freewheel and a fixed rear hub and I trust this setup completely.

I know the Hope Pro2 is a little/lot out of your price range, but its definitely one of the main contenders in quality hubs that will survive trials abuse. Its always worth having a look round the web at other non-trialsy shops and see if you can find a Hope XC or a mono for a reasonable price. Places like Wiggle and CRC are always worth a check and you might be able to get an older model for cheap. They arent quite as good as the Pro2 and have fewer engagements, but they are still strong reliable hubs that will put up with plenty of abuse from trials. Failing that, have a ponder through the for sale section, Im pretty sure you can find some bargain rear wheels/hubs in there for not a lot more than those hubs you linked.