Truvativ Gigapipe Dh And Frame Issue

Dekes

I bought this truvativ bb + the truvativ installation tool and at first the bb-bearings felt ok, rather smooth and not too much drag. I had my bb shell faced and retapped before installation. The frame is a mielec pro2 from 2006 I believe. I installed the bb today up to torque spec and with pedros synthetic grease. This went really easy, the retapping had paid of. When all was done, the bearings felt much worse. There was more drag and uneven movement, sometimes it turned smooth with some drag and the other times there was really too much drag on them.

Have any people had these problems as well? Or does anyone have an idea of what this problem could be? The threads on my frame's bb shell have a 22-23mm depth, measured from the side. The cups on the truvativ bb are alo around that size. But i have no idea whether this could be the problem.

Edited by Dekes

How old is the bb?

How much drag are you experiencing? Can you notice it when riding?

The bb is brand new.

The drag is noticably more than when turning the axle, holding the bb in your hands (not mounted into the frame)

I heared now that some other people had the same issue, maybe it's because it's got twice the amount of bearings of a normal bb (4 in stead of just 2) ? This way it offers more strength vs. more drag.

The bb is brand new.

The drag is noticably more than when turning the axle, holding the bb in your hands (not mounted into the frame)

I heared now that some other people had the same issue, maybe it's because it's got twice the amount of bearings of a normal bb (4 in stead of just 2) ? This way it offers more strength vs. more drag.

just use it. it'll be fine (Y)

just use it. it'll be fine (Y)

I mounted a shimano UN72 (XT) square axle bb tonight as well and it worked flawlessly, so the frame's bb shell must be well alligned. On the other hand, maybe this is the problem:

large_truvativbb.jpg

All will clear up tomorrow night or wednesday night when i try the bb in 2 other frames.

edit: sorry tartybikes for stealing and editing your picture

Edited by Dekes