Problems With Chain Skipping.

Henrik Y

I've tried to put gears on my inspired but I have a little(big) problem.

I've tried a few things but nothing seems to work. Now I try to get it working with only 2 rear sprockets(CK 19t and 14t) the chain runs smoothly when the tyre is in the air and I peddling but when I get weight on it so the chain tension increases the chain starts to skip and it skips a lot, 2-3 times each pedal rotation.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Don't think putting two CK sprockets next to eachother gives the right spacing. Either it's off by something like 0,7mm or it's of by the double (or something, not correct spacing between them anyway). Brain's not working right now...

If that is enough to make it behave strange, dunno. Though, if you can make it run smoothly on one of the sprockets then this might be the reason. If everything else is ok, like stiff links in the chain, chain length, gears correctly adjusted etc....

might be possible that the chain's not compatible with the sprockets.

E.g if the sprockets are for singlespeed, they might be too thick for a multispeed chain.

That was the problem when I tried gears.

Also, as above, your chain or sprockets could be worn. It turns out if you get new sprockets/a new cassette, you need to replace the chain (or vice versa) as they bed in to each other.

what tensioner are you running? is there enough wrap on the cog?

i think the chain needs to be roughly wrapped around half or more of the cog to give enough grip for it not to skip. if your tensioner is currently pushing down on the chain it may be the case that there's not enough chain wrapped around the cog, if so try reversing the tension on the tensioner so its pushing up. this should give more wrap around the cog, although you may find your chain might be too long. take a pic if you can cos that might help. also whats the chain line like? are the cogs at rear roughly on the same line at the cranks?

Thanks for the tips, got a little more things to think about.

I think I got it to work good enough.

I have 3 sprockets now. The chain is new, the ck sprockets are almost new and one is old but not worn.

One of the problems is that the chain is a little to thick for gears so the chain lock got stuck on top of the teeth on the lower sprocket.

But I got the high and the low sprocket to run smoothly now but it skips a little on the middle one. Might just need a little correction in sideways.

Edited by Henrik Y