Getting Back Into Trials

will69

Hi guys, it must be close to 3 years since my last post but my account is still active :)

I ride Downhill and a bit of BMX and XC as training... I used to ride trials (Onza T-bird LE) and did the Kelly Farm trial twice in the 90's (I feel very old after writing that!). I am at Swansea uni and theres not much BMXy style street and I just got my student loan...

I'm thinking of getting a Fourplay frame (nothing to do with the Danny Macaskill vid, honest :P ) Echo urban forks (not sure what they are but they're reccommended for the frame) and building it up with stuff I have hanging around.

Spec: Fourplay frame

Echo Urban fork

FSA Pig headset

Burgtec RW bar

RaceFace evolve stem

Atomlab trailpimp 24" wheels with Tioga tyres

single speed kit

diabolus crank/truvative

magura hs33/hs11 with 4 bolt mount + avid juicy 7

Macneil seat + post

easton flatboy pedals.

Just to reiterate, this is all stuff I have hanging about in my shed (yes I realise i'm very lucky) except for the frame and forks.

So, is there anything glaringly obvious i'm missing or that is unsuitable, or do you have any tip's for things that will have changed in the last 4 years since I rode trials?

Thanks, Will

Edited by will69

All looks pretty good, the only thing I'd question is the rear hub (strength of freehub and engagements). Apart from that the only other thing I can see is that you'll need a shim to use the Macneil post in the Inspired frame. I *think* I may have one in the garage though if you get stuck.

I wonder if the cranks are fully suitable?

Strength wise, raceface are very good, so no problem there.

You would need to have a small ring, like 24t or 22t, and you'd want a little bashring for it too. E13 do one that fits there nicely, as do Blackspire. Onza make a metal one too.

Edited by Revolver

Thanks guys!

I'm sure I can track a seatpost shim down :) The stem I will use and if its horrible I can change it. I will buy a bash ring. I'm sure the cranks will be ok, bit heavy though...

to be honest, the main think I was was worried about was the DH specific bars. I take it they are not wildly different strength or geometry wise to trials bars then?

Will

As long as they feel comfortable, thats all that matters. Bars are a personal preference, and a lot of people run different ones. I run Easton EA50s on a mod, and they feel great, yet other people hate them.

Thanks, thats good. I was just thinking that as a 275g Scandium bar, they might be getting on the light side for a 30" wide bar? Is that pretty standard for trials aswell?

The width might be a bit wide for streety trials use, but depends on how big you are what you're used to really. The Ride Wides were designed for the stresses of DH, so they'll be plenty strong enough for trials. They do have a fairly low rise, depending on whether you have the 20mm or 40mm rise versions, and have quite a lot of backsweep, but again it really does depend on what you are used to. Give them a try, if you dont like them, try something else.

The width might be a bit wide for streety trials use, but depends on how big you are what you're used to really. The Ride Wides were designed for the stresses of DH, so they'll be plenty strong enough for trials. They do have a fairly low rise, depending on whether you have the 20mm or 40mm rise versions, and have quite a lot of backsweep, but again it really does depend on what you are used to. Give them a try, if you dont like them, try something else.

Thanks buddy. I have the low rises on my DH bike and my hi rise ones to go on the fourplay...