Spray Problem

BigAl

Hi, today i re-sprayed my GU Typhoon and on the seatstay i accidentley sprayed to close and made a drip, i stupidley then tried to wipe the drip off with a cloth but this ruined all the paint surrounding the seatstay. Its all smudged and rippled, any suggestions as to what i could do to sort this out.

Thanks. Alex.

Oright mate

I maybe able to help am a painter and dec/sprayer

What you want to do is sand down the affected area with some 60/80 grit sand paper to get the messed up paint off

Then you want to sand the edges of the paint down to level them down to then metal (With a wet and dry sanding pad)

so you don't have a blunt edge around the sanded area.

Next you want to prime first , then build the paint back up, this will take a while, but as paint drys it expands and will fill the area again.

If you want to have a really good finish, (when cured, after 5-7days) give the area a light T-Cut, polishing from the area outwards.

Hope it helps :)

i wouldent recomend 60/80 grit it would be too harsh on a alloy frame. Your best bet would be to use 180grit wet then use 400 wet to get a better finnish, then when u spray only go in light coats the trick is to get the paint at a stage where it looks wet but dosnt run that wil give u the smooth finnish you are after. Take some time to practice spraying and learn how the paint adheres to the frame its the same with anything a bit of practice will help get the desired result.

i wouldent recomend 60/80 grit it would be too harsh on a alloy frame. Your best bet would be to use 180grit wet then use 400 wet to get a better finnish, then when u spray only go in light coats the trick is to get the paint at a stage where it looks wet but dosnt run that wil give u the smooth finnish you are after. Take some time to practice spraying and learn how the paint adheres to the frame its the same with anything a bit of practice will help get the desired result.

180 ??

To take runs out he,ll be there all day !!

What you want to do is sand down the affected area with some 60/80 grit sand paper to get the messed up paint off ???? lol ive never heard anything so funny in my life.

Just wet and dry it using a 400 grade then 800 grade. Make sure its all dry before u even attempt to spray again. You should be able to feel the difference with you fingers!.

One more thing, dont just flat the bit the had gone wrong flat around the area as well or you will end up with nasty little pockets like the moon lol :)

Good luck :)

yeh 180grit and it wil only take abought 5 mins if that. Im talking from alot of experiance 5 years in car body repair and spraying

Yeah im with you on the experiance :)But as you will know it will leave nasty scratch's which hell have to flat out to make it look pretty when its sprayed :)

Another way is find a local powder coat sprayer lol

My frames get done for £25 each which if u add up the price or primer,spray,laquer,papers,ect then its not far off

and the quality is great also forms a genraly thicker coat great for trials dings

Just make sure its a reputible company and they will take care of your threads nicley

Another way is find a local powder coat sprayer lol

My frames get done for £25 each which if u add up the price or primer,spray,laquer,papers,ect then its not far off

and the quality is great also forms a genraly thicker coat great for trials dings

Just make sure its a reputible company and they will take care of your threads nicley

yeah nice idea... i had one of my old pashley 26mhz frames sand blasted and powder coated in satin black £60 frame and forks :) (poor thing is now pink lol)

Well unlucky but i did the same recently as well,

1. make sure the paint around is completley dry (leave for 24-48hours)

2. get some sand paper not to coarse/sharp and clean of the messed paint

3. give it a good clean on the part to respray and dont go to heavy

4. give a good spray read the can they usualy tell you the best distance to stay away from the object to avoid drips and if its a gloss paint the gloss not spraying on like it did on myne :@

Hope this helps,

Matt