Up Front Or In The Back?

zoster

Hi!

i'll soon have a 24" bike with marino frame and fork (steel), and v-brakes both front and back, and mod hub spacing.

I don't know whether i should run the freewheel on the cranks or on the hub.

I like the look of having it on the cranks better but i don't know how much will the spinning chain eat from my momentum, and if the weight center won't be too forward.

any input?

thanks

Hi!

i'll soon have a 24" bike with marino frame and fork (steel), and v-brakes both front and back, and mod hub spacing.

I don't know whether i should run the freewheel on the cranks or on the hub.

I like the look of having it on the cranks better but i don't know how much will the spinning chain eat from my momentum, and if the weight center won't be too forward.

any input?

thanks

Front if its mod spacing.

Eno, tensile, try all.

Rear means bigger front gearing.

The same freewheel will work on the front or back, so the unscrewing issue will not arise (The front freewheel moves to the right as its tightened, a rear freewheel moves left, both have torque applied in opposite directions, so both tighten in use).

If for example you want to run cranks with bolt on chainrings you will have to use a rear freewheel. A screw on rear hub can take a screw on fixed sprocket or a freewheel, so either option is possible there. The same freewheel will engage with a smaller turn of the cranks if it's used on the back of the bike rather than on the cranks thanks to the gear ratio. The only downside to FFW I've found is that it will catch and chew your pants leg while freewheeling if you're not careful.

on her back

If im honest on a 24" trials, I don't think you're going to be doing hoppy hoppy kinda of moves you'll probably do a lot of street, which makes me want to say get a normal casette hub on the rear. Having said that, if you like your crankflips then FFW is awesome or them :)

Im running FFW on my stock and its really good :) Meh be different and put it on the front too :)

The same freewheel will work on the front or back, so the unscrewing issue will not arise (The front freewheel moves to the right as its tightened, a rear freewheel moves left, both have torque applied in opposite directions, so both tighten in use).

If for example you want to run cranks with bolt on chainrings you will have to use a rear freewheel. A screw on rear hub can take a screw on fixed sprocket or a freewheel, so either option is possible there. The same freewheel will engage with a smaller turn of the cranks if it's used on the back of the bike rather than on the cranks thanks to the gear ratio. The only downside to FFW I've found is that it will catch and chew your pants leg while freewheeling if you're not careful.

I was talking about the lock ring on the freewheel undoing slowly not the actual freewheel body undoing and falling off the cranks/hub.

The lockrings on almost all freewheels are on the side that faces away from the surface the freewheel is screwed on against, so if the lockring loosens you're in just as much trouble whether you have it fitted on the front or the back. Having the lockring come loose isn't that common anyway. My crank mounted ENO has given no trouble in terms of loosening or skipping in the past year of use anyway.

• 2 weeks later...