Removing Powder Coatings

Jitters

Hi all,

I am going to do the reverse from usual and remove powder coating from a stem so's I can clean it up and repaint it to match some other stuff.

Looking for ideas, tips and tricks on how to do this. I tried a DIY method a motorcycle shop recommended with some aerosol gasket remover. Didn't work at all. I'd rather not remove it with a wire wheel, as I don't want to sacrifice any structural integrity.

I have access to a curing oven (426C limit) if there is a chemical that can work in conjunction with heat, and can use a mediablasting cabinet if there is a particular media that will remove it without hurting the aluminum. Maybe a copper wire wheel? air chisel? dynamite? :P

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

If you have access toit, get it sandblasted off. It'll take a couple of minutes and give the best finish nice and easy :)

Some fairly small/light media will be fine, provided you're not running it at a silly pressure

Saying that, I did my forks with some pretty hardcore media over the summer and they turned out just fine, so just throw it in there :P

Ive heard of head gaskit cleaner does the job. Cannot remember the name of the exact product but have a search, im sure your find it. If that fails, get it shot/sand blasted at an engineers or a powder coating company. Your local technology school might have a sand blaster, all they can say is no.

Edited by N Roach

If you're using a blow torch you run the risk of changing the heat treatment on the aluminium of the stem. Try nitromors first and then sanding before going for a blow torch - keep the torch moving to avoid putting too much heat into the stem if you try that...

Ah good point I should have thought of that. I've only ever had to do it on steel frames in the past.

I didn't notice it was a stem, I've never seen a stem with thick powder coating? Sanding or shotblasting should get it off no trouble.

Hi all,

It was definitley powder coating. The gasket cleaner/remover didn't touch it. That's what I tried first. Used my friends blasting cabinet with glass beads. Did the trick in a snap and left just enough bite on the aluminum for the primer to adhere perfectly. I think sand would have messed it up.

Danny, as far as sanding the coating - that could totally work but wanted a nice shiny smooth finish.

Thank you all for the suggestions. :)