Yet Another Hs33 Problem

hdmackay

Hi again.

Today, I decided to bleed my back brake with water using the bath technique.

I tried it about 4 times and every time the pads don't push out at all.

And when I go to empty it, water comes out of the lever, but absolutely none comes out of the piston. I don't think any water is getting into the piston.

What could be the problem?

A hole in the hose or something? There isn't anything obvious...

I had the same problem once :( It will most probably be that you have very lazy pistons. If you look on the wiki it tells you how to fix "lazy pistons". There is that option or some new pistons which are about £15 each on tarty bikes I think. I managed to get some free off one of my mates XD because he was just going to throw his brake in the bin :P:o

Adam (Y)

Undo both bolts, hold the whole brake underwater, cover one bleed hole, pump the lever for about a minute, then cover the other hole(releasing the current one) and pump the lever for a minute.

Repeat this until NO air comes out.

For the ultimate bleed, I do that and the push a few syringes of water through. Works amazingly!

I thought you were meant to cover the hole at the piston, pull in the lever, take your finger off, release the lever?!

Ohwell

It will most probably be that you have very lazy pistons.

'Lazy Piston Definition: When one pad wont come as far back as the other, and usually rubs on the rim. '

That aint whats happening. The pads don't move out at all. No fluid is getting to the pistons.

I thought you were meant to cover the hole at the piston, pull in the lever, take your finger off, release the lever?!

Ohwell

Nah, use the method I told you, and it'll work if you don't do it wrong.

You just neeed to pump it for long enough so there's water in every part of the brake.

With the brake submerged underwater, both bleed bolts off, cover one hole and pull the lever, then hold the lever down, cover the other hole, and release the lever. Then cover the other hole and pull the lever, other hole, release. Repeat that a few times.

What that does, is pull the water in one end, and push it out the other end. I've always done that, and it never fails!

'Ben John-Hynes' your a legend. Your way worked. Theres still air, but not that much and to be honest I don't care about a wee bit of air and I can't be assed doing it again! When I turn the TPA in it's good. I think if I did it one more time I could get it airless, but hey. Thanks!

It's on my bike now and feels amazing!:D

I've tried bath/bucket/sink bleeds before and i can honestly not see the point of them? Why take off your whole brake when you can push a syringe ful of water through the brake and have it bled in under 2 minutes....brake stays on the bike - no need to readjust pads and no mess. Its a lot more successful too as you can be sure of whether air is getting in or not.

I really would recommend bleeding your brake with a syringe, then you'll no air in there!

I've tried bath/bucket/sink bleeds before and i can honestly not see the point of them? Why take off your whole brake when you can push a syringe ful of water through the brake and have it bled in under 2 minutes....brake stays on the bike - no need to readjust pads and no mess. Its a lot more successful too as you can be sure of whether air is getting in or not.

I really would recommend bleeding your brake with a syringe, then you'll no air in there!

I syringe bleed now that Ive found my syringe again :D

Takes all of a couple of minutes and get a perfect bleed.