G Turns?

Captain Scarlet

Right, I assume I've got the name right, if not I'll just clarify the move.

Best example I can show is the move seen in many of Mr. Macaskill's videos, at 1:08 in

one.

I can do a lot of front wheel moves (front hops, squeakers, 360 drop offs, and reverse nose drop offs), but this is the one move which I seen done quite a lot, and I still can't get my head around.

Front what I understand, its essentially a 180 endo, followed by a good balance point, and using your momentum you release the front brake to continue the rotation.

I can do the first 180 no problem, but by the time I come to release my brake there is very limited travel on the front wheel.

Just wanted to hear from people who have mastered this moves, and good tips for learning, I've covered the knack on other front wheel tricks ages ago, by playing with balance points and how much sweep your feet have against the pedals when you lift the rear wheel up for a nose exit, but this one is still something really difficult.

Cheers,

EDIT: another really good example here at 0:50,

Edited by Captain Scarlet

Too be honest, you've pretty much got it sussed. It took me ages to get it. I used to do the 180 pviot then use me foot on the front wheel to get the motion backwards going. I can now g-turn, but i found to do it you have to be more verticle than you think so you can get the backwards motion.

That's the only pointer I can really give as you already know the rest.

yea deff learn it on a hill. easier.

and a nice progressive front brake helps obviously. dont use a front maggy with tar ! haha

and remember you gotta go over the bars more than you want to at first.

iolo.

I used to do the 180 pviot then use me foot on the front wheel to get the motion backwards going.

Thats a good tip, didn't think of that one.

Only reason why I asked is that I've got to wait nearly a week for my rear brake to come back from hope, so its plenty of time to play around on the front wheel and get this move dialed. :turned:

Cheers for the input, I'll let you know how I get on.

Have a look at this video thinkbikes

I not going to put the times of the moves in as there is loads of different front wheel moves in the vid

When I do them I put a stoppy instead of just the 180 pivot, if you want a long G turn you will need to keep the back wheel low and as you let the front brake off push your weight down on the bars also to get it longer I swing my bike first in the opposite direction before swinging back the other way for the G turn

Edited by Dave Lowe

As Nick said, try with a kick first, its how I first done it. If you try without a kick, then the slower you go, the harder it is.

When you spin round try and keep your arms bent so when the rear comes to the swinging round, you can push down on the bars and it should send you rolling.