116mm Hub With 26" Rim Help

MikeWarner

Hi - I've just bought a stock frame which takes a 116mm hub. I'm after advice on what to go for in order to ensure strengh. My budget isn't big, so please keep this in mind.

From what I see, there are three choices of type of hub:

- Freehub with sprocket

- Fixed hub with screw on cog (with freewheel on the crank)

- Fix hub with screw on freewheel

The latter may not be possible as I may take my Middleburn RS7s off my XC bike and fit a trials ring, so may need to be a fixed ring on the front (18T). Depends on how much a new set of XC cranks are though - I need a bottom bracket for my XC at the moment, so figured an all in one crank/bb bracket would be a good idea - like the Shimano SLX or XT, thus freeing up the RS7s. Not 100% sure on this though. Please advise either way.

Oh - I'm after a 16T to go on the rear and I don't need a rear disc mount. Any advice would be great.

Thanks. :)

Edit: would this be any good? Comes with a cog too.

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?pr...category_id=147

Edited by MikeWarner

I wouldnt go for those free hub as they tend to skip like mad.

With a mod stock you best off running a fixed hub at the back with freewheel on the cracks. My current set up is a Viz hub on the rear(have had no issues at all with it and im a bit of a basher) a set of Echo CNC cranks with an ENO attached. its a bit more expensive but its going to save your face!

Thanks for the reply. Sounds about right to be honest looking at the photos they have put up.

Are the cheap ACS Claws any good?

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?pr...;category_id=16

They seem much cheaper than other options on the Tartybike site, but I don't want something that is going to skip. Any low(ish) budget recommendations? This isn't something I'm going to skimp on though if a more expensive one really is a better option.

I believe that the better option for you (price and quality)

is the Tensile Freewheel

Combining this with a good pair of cranks that have threads (so you can have a FFW setup)

and a 15t or 16T screw on spocket on the back.

I personaly use this freewheel and it's excellent,very reliable and it's gonna last.

I haven't heard that ACS Claws skip but I think that 36 engagement points are not so efficient, and maybe you will feel the need to change it and buy one with more...

So...I think the Tensile is the best choice