New To Trials, 20" Or 26"

hi guys,

i have been bmxing for a while on a 20" GT tour bike, and after watching some guys in plymouth i have decided that trials bike riding is something i want to do, i am more than able to hop my 20" bmx around 1'6"+, depending. I have been having a look round at bikes, and i like the looks of the onza hitman, its a 26", with multi speed, which would be useful when it come to riding to mylocal park, down a steephill :(

i have a 26" moutain bike which i can hop a bit, but it is super heavy and nearly 5 years old,

i am about 6', and around 75 kg,

would a 26" bike be a good choice for me or not?

any help would be immense, cheers,

Edited by edwradmark91

Hi most start out on a 20" because its easy and faster to learn on iv been told i started out on a 26" it was hard at first but i got there and still ride 26" now and again but i ride 20" more these days.

I'm 5'10" and ride both

Edited by Earl

Your height & weight is not crucial for what kind of bike you have to choose. It all depends on what you like more. And nobody can tell you, what is better for you. <_<

Look around for trialers in your surrounding and ask for a test-ride (Y).

fair enough, what are the main advantages of 20 over 26 or is it all personal?

Your height & weight is not crucial for what kind of bike you have to choose. It all depends on what you like more. And nobody can tell you, what is better for you. <_<

Look around for trialers in your surrounding and ask for a test-ride (Y).

most of the guys round me are all bmx'ers and they are bein a bit harsh about trials bikes :( and saying they aint worth it, but i am pretty adamant about getting one, if there are any guys in saltash who have bike that they dont mind me trying that would be immense :)

Edited by edwradmark91

I don't think there are any main advantages to 20" or 26" it is just personal i ride both its easy on 20" and 26" just needs you to put more power down.

Edited by Earl

i had figured that 26" would be heavier and a bit more difficult to throw around, so in that respect i was considering a 20" but cus i will use it for travelling a bit, which one is easier for riding distances, not huge ones, but just a 10 min ride to my park?

cheers

A 26" bike would be a great choice becuase you have riden a mountain bike before which are 26" wheels so you may feel abit uncomfortable on a mod.

Hope i helped Ryan (Y)

i was kinda shocked when i got on my bmx, cus it is sooo small!! but i am getting used to it, obviously not knowing anything at all about trials!! so does anybodyknow if the onza hitman is a good bike??

i had figured that 26" would be heavier and a bit more difficult to throw around, so in that respect i was considering a 20" but cus i will use it for travelling a bit, which one is easier for riding distances, not huge ones, but just a 10 min ride to my park?

cheers

i was kinda shocked when i got on my bmx, cus it is sooo small!! but i am getting used to it, obviously not knowing anything at all about trials!! so does anybodyknow if the onza hitman is a good bike??

Its not really what size bike, its what gearing you use, mabey you should consider 6 speed, for traveling distances?

coming from a mostly moutain bike background gearing seemed like the best option, but are there any problems with weight or damage with riding a bike with a drailier (hope ispelt it right :S ) cus i know that repairs on hangers are expensive e.t.c

Get a 24" then best of both iv been told small like 20" and has gears like 26".

20" not to go for distance 5 mile took me around 20 Min's and 15 mile took me just over an hour.

26" is best for distance mate.

Hope that helps.

coming from a mostly moutain bike background gearing seemed like the best option, but are there any problems with weight or damage with riding a bike with a drailier (hope ispelt it right :S ) cus i know that repairs on hangers are expensive e.t.c

My mate always smashes derailiers becuase of hitting them when he goes to side. Mabey consider a 24" got a seat, that always makes it easier.

good :) cus i have been warned that it is an expensive hobby :( but that has not put me off surfing or sailing :P anything for the rush :) any recommendations when it comes to 26" bikes? i have been looking at the onza hitman, and i am allowed about 350 for my birthday, any good bikes for around that price?

I was looking on ebay earlier and there was a couple of 26" for a round £300 to £400 on there, other wise get a good cheap one and upgrade the hell out of it one part at a time i did when i first started.

Onza's are a good start bike most start with one or look around after all you've got the Internet.

yeah i ahve been having a nose about, and i like the looks of the bikes on echo's sight, but they look ver very expensive, the idea of buying a cheap one, and getting better parts slowly appealed to me, cus it means that i can get the bike that i want, it worked well with my bmx,a nd i now have a bike that is completely personal, so i will do that with the trials too :)

thanks for all the help guys :)

happy riding

oh yeah sorry one last question, are hydraulic rim brakes a good buy, or more trouble than they are worth cus apparently bleeding the systema nd getting the balance right is difficult,

apart from that :) thankyou very much,

hope you get some good rides :)

Get HS33 and a bleed kit at same time, read how to bleed first before do it i did mine work fine. Iv still got my first hs33's on my 26" i got them in 1996 i look after them my self.

Iv got three bikes with them on two 20" trials and my 26" and get some tar you will need it when you start to push it trust me.

P.S.

Disc's work well to i just don't have any at the moment I'd only get one on the front though for trials thats how most have it.

Edited by Earl

thanks alot :) i love looking after my bikes, i have a moutain bike and bmx, and they have never gone in a for a service!!! i keep them running well on my own, i think it is so much more personal when you are fixing your bike :)

so thanks alot for all the help, it has been really good getting to talk to people who love the sport,

happy riding :)

thanks again ed,

depending on what you have riding before. Or if you have riden before. If you have been into bmxing then I advise you to stay with 20 inch as you have a feel for it. But if you have been downhilling or cross country or some thing that involves a 26 inch wheel then stick to the 26 inch. Everyone will have there own opinion as it is just a matter of what you like. And everybody likes diffrent bikes. My advise would be try some bikes out see what you prefer 20 inch or a 26 inch trials bike.