Screw On Or Splined Sprockets?

hdmackay

Ok, but I was looking on Tarty at the splined sprockets and most of them only go down to 14t.

I'm needing a 12t one. The Gusset ones do 12t and I was wondering is there a reason most of them are 14-18t? Are they meant to be used on the front?

Thanks

Hunter I have been able to get screw on sprockets off before. Its not that hard to be honest. And with splined you have more risk of the sprocket coming loose and you also risk cross threading the lockring too. I think I remember mcinnes stripped the threads on his one and ended up having to super glue it back on just to get back out riding again! Screw on Id say is safer and you get more hubs to choose from at the moment with them.

Hunter I have been able to get screw on sprockets off before. Its not that hard to be honest. And with splined you have more risk of the sprocket coming loose and you also risk cross threading the lockring too. I think I remember mcinnes stripped the threads on his one and ended up having to super glue it back on just to get back out riding again! Screw on Id say is safer and you get more hubs to choose from at the moment with them.

Awesome, because there doesn't seem to be much choice with 12t splined sprockets.

:)

And with splined you have more risk of the sprocket coming loose and you also risk cross threading the lockring too. Screw on Id say is safer

Biggest load of rubbish i have ever heard! Splined sprockets far surpass screw on and are no less safe. For the reasons i explained before - splined sprockets are superiour.

Firstly: The sprocket can be as loose as it want and as long as the lockring is in place it ain't going anywhere. You realise the whole cycling industry prefers splined to screw on?

Secondly: If you're enough of a spastic to cross thread a lockring, you are also enough of a spastic to crossthread a screw on sprocket?

If you're getting a splined sprocket make sure it has a wide base, otherwise it will cut into the freehub spline on your hub. Screw on sprockets and freewheels are a complete pain in the ass to deal with as they may come off easily or may be the work of several hours depending on how long it has been fitted for, how well greased it was and the condition of the threads. Splined sprockets are easy to remove because the pedalling forces don't drive the tighter and tighter as you use them. Saying that, I run a front freewheel on my bike because I trust the freewheel engagement on an ENO more than I trust any rear freewheel I've tried... If there was a splined mounting for freewheels onto preferably Middleburn cranks I'd upgrade immediately...