Hard And Soft Tyre Pressures

hdmackay

Hey again,

I have a fairly new set of Maxxis Creepy Crawler tyres, I had them before aswell and that set lasted me pretty long and I have read on here that they are the longest wear life tyres for mod. I had a slow puncture and I couldn't be bothered fixing it so for the last week or two so I have been pumping my back tyre up pretty hard so it doesn't suddenly go flat mid-ride.

So having rode with high tyre pressure all week, (I've been riding lots, every day) i've noticed my tyres have worn alot.

So i'm wondering, has anyone else had experience with this? Does higher tyre pressure wear your tyres quicker?

It could just be me forgetting how quickly tyres wear. :P

Thanks

Hunter

Edited by hdmackay

Is there a quick way to take knobbles off a tyre - some of the side knobbles on my Rubber Queen are rubbing the frame and its getting annoying...

A steak knife does it fast :) Thats what I used and it took like 5-10 mins a tyre.

Not on a Mod anyway. But on a stock. If you did it to both tyres. I can imagine it would save a fair amount.

Hmm... not as much as just getting new tyres all together. Haha.

Can't believe on stock you can save over 2kg on just tyres and tubes!:o

I just remember trying it with a snips many years ago and it taking bloody ages... I'll have to see what Stanley® will do for me :P ...

Scapel works best. (Y)

It can't save that much cutting off tyre knobbles...

Lots

Not on a Mod anyway. But on a stock. If you did it to both tyres. I can imagine it would save a fair amount.

I saved 90-100g just on a rear Creepy Crawler. (Can't remember the exact number).

I actually saved less on the new tyre I've got for my stock, (Maxxis 2.35" Front Tread Single Ply Minion 42A), 72g.

But how many treads did you cut off though?

Must have been a bit more than just the ones on the sides to save more than on a stock tyre.

Just every other side knobble, but the bigger ones. They're just huge knobbles compared to the ones on most stock tyres. In fact I think any stock tyres?

I went on a bike with every other nobble cut off the rear tyre, and i could really tell the difference in weight, it helped me carry on the section, without these nobbles cut of, i dont think i'd of done it.

:huh:

f**k you Mat. :P

I went on a bike with every other nobble cut off the rear tyre, and i could really tell the difference in weight, it helped me carry on the section, without these nobbles cut of, i dont think i'd of done it.

:huh:

I Love You by the way ^_^

Just every other side knobble, but the bigger ones. They're just huge knobbles compared to the ones on most stock tyres. In fact I think any stock tyres?

I see, Personally. I wouldnt cut the big knobbles off. There a whole lot more grippy than the wee shit ones.

Made the tyre grip better on edges and lost a load of weight, so it seemed good to me!

Thats the main reason I've done it again, these front tread minion grip loads better on edges with every other side knobble removed apparantly.

I Love You by the way ^_^

:wub::P .

But seriously, cutting knobbles off does make a difference, like gives more grip and bounce, dont ask why 'cos I dont know, but if you grind all the knobbles off except the sides then the tyre becomes seriously bouncy and just the same grip.

But seriously, cutting knobbles off does make a difference, like gives more grip and bounce, dont ask why 'cos I dont know, but if you grind all the knobbles off except the sides then the tyre becomes seriously bouncy and just the same grip.

How can cutting off the knobbles give more grip!?:o

Haha

I agree with the bounce part. Because i run my tyres bald for ages before i get new ones.

But with the grip. I cant imagine a bald tyre being any use atall in the wet atall. Or on any kind of metal surfaces, Rails etc.

Fair enough if you cut maybe, 50% off. But anything more is abit stupid in my opinion. Whats the point in buying a tyre to cut it up.

I agree with the bounce part. Because i run my tyres bald for ages before i get new ones.

But with the grip. I cant imagine a bald tyre being any use atall in the wet atall. Or on any kind of metal surfaces, Rails etc.

Fair enough if you cut maybe, 50% off. But anything more is abit stupid in my opinion. Whats the point in buying a tyre to cut it up.

Nah you dont buy a new tyre lol, we just grind all the nobbles off really old tyres, i have no idea how it grips, but it just does, i cant tell the difference between a bald monty and a brand new monty for grip, but the bald ones are alot grippyer, i dont ride in the wet, or in comps so i dunno about that, cant imagine it working though, ill try get a pic tomorrow.