Tips For Avid Bb7 09'

TrialZonn

Hello everyone.

I just received my new Avid BB7 09' disk brake and set it up.It's the 203mm caliper and rotor and fits my forks perfectly.

I have also a new Avid SD7 Lever and brand new cable.

So...I went through the instructions carefully and after a few tries the pads started to ''break in'' (I noticed an improvement in braking power, I also used the technique with the water after getting the rotor hot))

However I haven't managed to achieve the vicious power that every user of this brake has.

The brake stops the bike but that's not what I really need.It's like not stopping immediately, just a ''fade out'' and if I want to go over the handlebars I really need to put much power to the lever.What could cause that?Everyone says that this is one of the best brake setups available so...

Is there anything that I can do?

And something else...How the Speed Dial Lever works?When the cable is higher in the lever there is more boost in the power and when lower more modulation?

Hello everyone.

I just received my new Avid BB7 09' disk brake and set it up.It's the 203mm caliper and rotor and fits my forks perfectly.

I have also a new Avid SD7 Lever and brand new cable.

So...I went through the instructions carefully and after a few tries the pads started to ''break in'' (I noticed an improvement in braking power, I also used the technique with the water after getting the rotor hot))

However I haven't managed to achieve the vicious power that every user of this brake has.

The brake stops the bike but that's not what I really need.It's like not stopping immediately, just a ''fade out'' and if I want to go over the handlebars I really need to put much power to the lever.What could cause that?Everyone says that this is one of the best brake setups available so...

Is there anything that I can do?

And something else...How the Speed Dial Lever works?When the cable is higher in the lever there is more boost in the power and when lower more modulation?

Just keep riding around with the lever pulled in.

Instead of hot water, pud some muddy water on your rotor instead.

Not too sure on the SD lever though....

smear gritty mud on the rotor...ride it whilst dragging the brake, rinse and repeat.

As for the SD lever, the lower it is the more leverage the lever blade exerts, and the more spongy the brake feels, the higher, and the stiffer and less power you get out of it due to it being closer to the fulcrum (Y)

When I got my bb7 the power was shit and took and 5 rides before the power got to how I would like it, this is rather surprising to me. I suppose the first ride being in snow didn't help much either as it could not really get hot.

smear gritty mud on the rotor...ride it whilst dragging the brake, rinse and repeat.

As for the SD lever, the lower it is the more leverage the lever blade exerts, and the more spongy the brake feels, the higher, and the stiffer and less power you get out of it due to it being closer to the fulcrum (Y)

Thanks for all your answers!I'll give it more time to bed in.

As for the lever, I suppose I have to use it with the cable lower if I want more 'on-off' power?

After some tries I noticed that the lower I have the cable in the lever (by lower I mean closer to the bars) the more ''bite'' I get and the less modulation (the brake lock the wheel the most times, it's hard to use the right preassure to just slow down ^_^ ).

The higher I adjust the cable to be, the more spongy the brake feels and I get more control over my braking (I can easily slow down but if I want to completely lock the wheel after a gap to front I must really push the lever hard).

So I think that SD7 levers works like this...

However, I downloaded and read the official manual about the Speed Dial Series and it says that the higher the cable the more ''tight'' braking you get and the lower the ''softer'' (with great modualtion)

And now I'm really confused as my opinion desagree with the manual. :(

Can someone who has or ever owned these levers help?

What the best adjustment for trials riding?

I tried MY new BB7 today, and the power is just pure crap... Though I just spent about 10 minutes playing around on it I guess I cant expect much from it.

I'll try going down a few hills, putting some water on it, then I'll repost in this topic and give you my opinions.

Cheeeers

I tried MY new BB7 today, and the power is just pure crap... Though I just spent about 10 minutes playing around on it I guess I cant expect much from it.

I'll try going down a few hills, putting some water on it, then I'll repost in this topic and give you my opinions.

Cheeeers

Yeah it's crap till it beds in!

When they bed in, there amazing!