.iso Operating System Downloads

Token

Basically I've got a few licenses of Windows, which have been paid for.

i.e I have the little windows license key sticker on a few old computers.

The problem is I need to install Windows XP Media Center 2005 on a computer because it is attrociously slow. But the CD is lost.

Is there anywhere I can legally down the .iso without waiting 3days for a torrent. Maybe a rapidshare link or something along those lines. I've searched, but all I'm finding is crappy fiddled with Windows OS's that aren't original.

How did you obtain the volume licenses? It may be worth contacting your software vendor for details.

If you're wanting to do it all legit, I propose you contact microsoft on their toll free number for more information - its a very gray idea which people tend to get wrapped around their heads with...

Basically, you don't pay for the software, you pay for the license to use it. However, once installed on a machine the license is non-transferable - however they ARE valid for DOWNGRADE ONLY (Vista to XP).

Multiple license discs, or corporate discs, hold X amount of licenses specifically to that disc - therefore I think you'll have to get the original disc the licenses were obtained for.

As I said, call Microsoft and hear it from the horses mouth. If you google it, you'll get a very mixed opinion, mine is one of them and I could well be wrong.

Edit: Avoid Ebay and Amazon for ANY SOFTWARE. I can promise you a high percentage is counterfeit and will either be corrupt, or wont work at all.

Edited by anzo

All of the volume licenses that I've got are just the license key stickers on the side of computer towers (a wardrobe full) so I'm not short on licenses which have been paid for.

The computer in question that needs re-installing is my sisters families, that has the Media Center license key on the side. She definitely was issued the CD when she bought the computer a few years back, but with a few small kids, it's probably been snapped in half or thrown out.

I guess if there's no convenient way of obtaining the disc, then the most practical way of sorting the issue out is to just install Vista with the CD I've got and just use a timer stop crack. :(

I see, if the sticker is on the case then usually this was installed from purchase and is therefore an OEM copy - the discs are available from the retailer, usually for a small fee.

However, if this is the case and the OS has been installed on these machines, you cannot copy them over to another machine as they're non-transferable :(

Depending on your situation of course, I'd always recommend ubuntu.

Edit: Just noticed its for your sister...Depending on your knowledge with computers you could get ubuntu running stable and with the right drivers it'll make a good machine.

Although its probably not practical; but the ideas there :)

Edited by anzo

Cheers for the help.

I don't think ubuntu would be very practical, mainly because she needs MS Office and I don't think she'd be too keen on learning Open Office. That and she's one of those 'theres no such thing as a different operating system to Windows'.

I'm just downloading XP Media Center 2005 from Torrent. See how I'll get on.

Sorted!

Downloaded the XP Pro from torrent successfully, installed succesfully. It's amazing how a computer can go from taking 5 minutes to get on the internet, to booting up and being on the internet in under a minute. Just with a fresh install of Windows.