Spraying Rims And Parts

Jamie East

Decided that I want some white parts, so deciding to paint the rims, forks and brakes. Been down to the local B 'n' Q, only spray paint they had was Hammerite stuff, but for 10 quid a can, it's too pricey. Looking for something cheaper, don't mind buying it if it's decent stuff.

Just wondered what paint other people used, also how did you do it. Do you have to use a primer and lacquer, or just paint?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Jamie

Have a look at the wiki mate it has a good bit on frame sparaying, i have just finished respraying my frame and forks and it is holding up well. if you can strip the part back to bare metal that seems to work best, then make sure the surface you are painting has a rough surface( use coarse sand paper) After it is ready to paint give it 2-3 coats of primer ( use thin layers) When you finally get round to applying the paint, again lots of thin layers is better than one thick one and make sure you allow plenty of time to harden between each coat. Try your local auto shop for the spray paint they have a much better range of colours and is normally alot cheaper than b&q, i think my cans were 4 quid each and i used 3. Hope this helps

Have a look at the wiki mate it has a good bit on frame sparaying, i have just finished respraying my frame and forks and it is holding up well. if you can strip the part back to bare metal that seems to work best, then make sure the surface you are painting has a rough surface( use coarse sand paper) After it is ready to paint give it 2-3 coats of primer ( use thin layers) When you finally get round to applying the paint, again lots of thin layers is better than one thick one and make sure you allow plenty of time to harden between each coat. Try your local auto shop for the spray paint they have a much better range of colours and is normally alot cheaper than b&q, i think my cans were 4 quid each and i used 3. Hope this helps

Blast it its easier and faster...

Got a pretty good finish on my rims by just taking my wheels/tyres off, and doing a couple of thin coats carefully with Halfords paint. Lasted pretty well, good range of colours, etc. Obviously if you can be bothered, primer and laquer will make it last longer. It's not really a hassle, and if you've got a covered over outdoor area, it's the ideal wet weather activity ;)