How To Get The Strongest Rear Maggy Set Up?

Caswell_35

Hi Guys,

Iv been playing around with my bike tonight and have noticed that my brake is 'spongy'. When i pull my back brake i can see that my back wheel is moving (when i squeeze hard).

Does this always happen? If not does anybody know why it does? and how i can fix it?

Thanks

Caswell ;)

Hi Guys,

Iv been playing around with my bike tonight and have noticed that my brake is 'spongy'. When i pull my back brake i can see that my back wheel is moving (when i squeeze hard).

Does this always happen? If not does anybody know why it does? and how i can fix it?

Thanks

Caswell ;)

Sorry i should add im riding a mod!

Reposition your pads so they're about 2 - 3 mil away from the rim, and tighten your cones, because your wheel shouldn't be moving.

My cones are tight! I mean i could go tighter but i dont think my wheel would move. Also my pads are about 1mm from the rim and my level pulls to about 1 inch from the bar! Far too close for me??? :(

Strip, clean, bleed and adjust. While the pads are off, reface them. Good opertunity to give the rim a fresh grind too. About an hours work and you'd think you had a different bike.

When you say reface them you mean?? sand a fresh face onto them?? which parts are the most important to clean?? Sorry for questions been out of trials for 4 years.

Tape some P400 wet and dry to the work bench/ kitchen table/ some thing flat and rub the pad accross it. You just want to remove the layer of glazing that may have formed on them. It might not be necesary but I like to cover everything when I have some thing in bits, no point doing half a job.

When you say reface them you mean?? sand a fresh face onto them?? which parts are the most important to clean?? Sorry for questions been out of trials for 4 years.

Yeah, just sand the surface of the pads. As for the cleaning, you should take the master cylinder out of the lever, clean inside the body and shit, then whack it all back together, and re-bleed. That WILL sort it, because from what you've described, you have air in your brake.

Yeah, just sand the surface of the pads. As for the cleaning, you should take the master cylinder out of the lever, clean inside the body and shit, then whack it all back together, and re-bleed. That WILL sort it, because from what you've described, you have air in your brake.

Yeah that too, I was only thinking about the slaves ha

Is it easy to take out?

Done all this now, still spongy!! starting to annoy me now!! i will get a fresh grind on tomorrow!! but want it to be more solid!!??

Help!!!

Has the bleed made any difference? You could try a complete fluid flush. What condition was the fluid that came out?

Running a brake booster?

Edited by Dan_Trials

I've tightened my bleed nut in my cylinder before too tight and that allowed my fluid to escape around the nut. Squeeze the lever as tight as possible and check the complete line for drips. Use blue tissue, usually see where it's wet.

The thing that throws me as it doesnt seem to have a leak!?? just really spongy, I spent all morning bleeding it right through with about 4 syringe worths!! im running a booster and my cones are tight?? its so irritating!

Maybe it a flexi rim??

If my bads are not level for example one side 1mm away from rim and the other 2mm away will this cause the rim to be pushed across??

Caswell :angry:

Yeah if one pad touches the rim before the other it will keep pushing untill it meets a force greater than it. This is usually the pad on the other side. Have a carefull inspection of it by slowly pulling on the brake a bit at a time and see what is happening. As soon as one pad touches, have a look how far off the other pad is. If there is a gap then alignment is needed.

It is still possible for there to be air in the system even if it isn't leaking, although it would have to have been leaking (or incorrectly bled) at some point. When you bled it you did turn the lever so the outlet was at the highest point?

If your chasing a firm lever feel and want to reduce the flex. It's the whole brake you need to work on.

#1 cnc backed pads are stiffer

#2 running a booster (but not all booster set ups are created even) Most booster system are the same (long flexy bolts and spacers)

#3 Magura clamps that don't use the plastic washers.

#4 inbuilt frame boosters are very effective.

I'll be releasing a new booster system in about 2 weeks I think you'll like it.

post-21773-1254885434_thumb.jpg

If your chasing a firm lever feel and want to reduce the flex. It's the whole brake you need to work on.

#1 cnc backed pads are stiffer

#2 running a booster (but not all booster set ups are created even) Most booster system are the same (long flexy bolts and spacers)

#3 Magura clamps that don't use the plastic washers.

#4 inbuilt frame boosters are very effective.

I'll be releasing a new booster system in about 2 weeks I think you'll like it.

f**k, I have been working on a system like that to go into production in a few months.

Looks like you got the jump on me.

Ah well great minds think alike and all that.........

Matt

Yeah if one pad touches the rim before the other it will keep pushing untill it meets a force greater than it. This is usually the pad on the other side. Have a carefull inspection of it by slowly pulling on the brake a bit at a time and see what is happening. As soon as one pad touches, have a look how far off the other pad is. If there is a gap then alignment is needed.

It is still possible for there to be air in the system even if it isn't leaking, although it would have to have been leaking (or incorrectly bled) at some point. When you bled it you did turn the lever so the outlet was at the highest point?

By the outlet you mean? the TPA?? the bit where you adjust the pads from the lever?????