Welding Disc Mount Onto Steel Forks ?

steve g

Hi, i am planning to have a disc mount welded onto my steel Monty 219 ALP forks as a temporary set-up to spread the cost of converting to disc. I know someone who is confident they can weld it on well, was just wondering if anyone else has done this / knows someone who has and has any advice or problems they found. :)

I wouldn't recmond it. As you need to get it perfect on the forks or your brake wont set up right.

Hi, ive read online that a good way to do it is:

set-up an avid bb5 or bb7 on a set of disc forks, tighten the pad adjusters so the brake is clamped to the rotor, and then remove the wheel and brake from the forks at the same time so that when you fit the wheel (with brake clamped to rotor) into the non-disc forks you can attach the loose disc tab to the brake

spin the wheel so the tab is against the fork and voila... a perfectly positioned disc tab ready to weld. :) sounds simple, ish :S

i was just wondering if any one knew of problems i need to look out for other than the risk of cooking the pads! thanks

Hi, i am planning to have a disc mount welded onto my steel Monty 219 ALP forks as a temporary set-up to spread the cost of converting to disc. I know someone who is confident they can weld it on well, was just wondering if anyone else has done this / knows someone who has and has any advice or problems they found. :)

I work in the steel fabrication industry. I dont think it would last very long to be honest as it is a very high stress area. Steel needs to be stress relieved by baking in a furnace at about 650 ºC for about one hour or till the whole part reaches this temperature.

Clive Leeson (and many other people) used to do it to Pashley forks, held up really well from what i can remember! (there's an awful lot that got modified still about)

Think it through thoroughly and you'll be fine (Y)

Edited by Skoze

I think i am going to attempt to make it myself, ive got some snapped echo SL's with a disc mount which i could use as a template. Ile post some pics of how it goes, if I can figure out how to post pictures!

Fingers crossed this isn't followed up with a 'my disc broke off and mangled my wheel' thread :lol:

your still being optimistic, it will probably be 'mangled carcass' :lol:

dunno if these pics will help dudes made a wee jig.

http://ifbikesblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/fo...-disc-tabs.html

cheers for the link, will probably do this, although im sure mine will be a bit less substantial ( block of wood with a couple screws in ? ) (Y)