Bike On A Plane

terry26rims

I'm off on holiday in january and am keen to take my bike with me, i'm flying with easyjet and don't mind paying the extra sporting goods charge. But i'm unclear on what i can get away with doing. Has anyone flown with their bike before? How did you pack it, what extra bits shall i take. Cheers.

I just threw mine in a box and padded it out well with polystyrene. I only took the front wheel off and the stem / bars.

DEFLATE THE TIRES.

When you get to the airport you'll head to the check in and they won't take the box with your suitcases, they'll get you to take it to the oversized luggage area, and when you go to pick it up, just ask anyone where the oversized luggage pickup is.

They do actually make it very simple. Make sure you read very throughly on the carriers website to make sure you know what fees you're likely to incur, i was supposed to pay $50 but I didn't because the check in girl knew less than me about her own job.

I made myself a handle with tape and a used an empty bogroll which proved very useful until the customs agent cut it off when he went for a snoop.

(Y)

Edited by JT!

i've looked at the bike bags, but in all honesty why can't you just put it in a suit case it's a trials frame after all. I'm gonna phone easyjet to see what they say. If i do have to get a bike bag what one is best for a trials frame?

i have read on t'net that you can get a cardboard box that a cycle originally come in from halfords or other and just pad that out, is that what you did?

i've looked at the bike bags, but in all honesty why can't you just put it in a suit case it's a trials frame after all. I'm gonna phone easyjet to see what they say. If i do have to get a bike bag what one is best for a trials frame?

My trials frame is a good few inches longer than my suitcase. And my suitcase is pretty big.

Bicycles (1), golf equipment, and skis, surfboards, wind surfers, hang gliders, and firearms (2)

An additional non-refundable fee is charged per item per flight for the carriage of the above items as set out in our carrier’s regulations.

Payment of the additional fee increases your checked-in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a maximum weight of 32kg.

Where your total checked-in hold baggage weighs more than 32kgs, normal excess baggage charges as set out in our carrier’s regulations shall apply in addition to the above fee.

Please note that sporting equipment fees will not be refunded if you change your mind and decide not to carry sporting equipment on your flight.

(1) Carriage of bicycles:

The bicycle must be packaged in a bicycle box or bag

Only one bicycle per bicycle box or bag will be permitted

No other items can be carried in the bicycle box (e.g. clothing)

The handlebars must be flush with the frame

The pedals must be flush against the frame or removed

Passengers travelling with bicycles are strongly recommended to check-in 2 hours prior to departure in order to guarantee carriage.

(2) The carriage of firearms is strictly limited. Passengers must produce valid documentation of proof of ownership and legal authority for the possession of the firearm(s). Without such documentation firearms WILL NOT be carried.' (please see "Firearms and explosives" in our carrier’s regulations [link to relevant section of carrier’s regulations].)

Sounds to me like so long as it's not over 32k, and you only have one other suitcase, you're good to go. No size regulations.

i have read on t'net that you can get a cardboard box that a cycle originally come in from halfords or other and just pad that out, is that what you did?

Yes. :)

The bike will fit loosely, but when you pad it out with stuff, if it gets knocked or pierced there's plenty of room either side and should keep your bike safe. Where as with bike bags they don't really offer any protection at all.

I used a halfords bike box with easyjet and it was fine. just use some foam to warp around the frame, i think i kept the back wheel on and took the forks out, taped the bars to the frame. can put all ur spares and riding gear in the box too. unless you wana be cool like me and carry ur helmet on your hand luggage ;) its always scary waiting to see if your bike will turn up at the other airport!

Do not deflate the tyres - even if the plane went to deep space the tyres would only see a 14.7 PSI pressure increase (That's all atmospheric pressure is) - which would spectacularly fail to burst them. If the tyres are left deflated you're a lot more likely to arrive with them pinch flatted or with flat spots on the rims from the box being dropped.

I bought a hard case for transporting my bike and while it wasn't cheap it does protect the bike well. I'd recommend getting two bike boxes. Cut one up and use it to line the other. Reinforce the life out of the lift handles on the box too as they'll get torn through otherwise. Also put each tool in the box as you use it to dismantle part of the bike to guarantee you can put it together afterwards. Don't leave anything rattling around inside the box too - it will fall out given the chance.

Standard method for packing is: remove pedals, remove handlebars, remove wheels. If you have a derailleur hanger remove this too with the tensioner attached and cable tie to the chainstays. Cable tie the handlebars to the top tube (With padding between them and the frame). Cable tie the pedals to the frame (Between the seatstays is a good spot). Remove any brake disks you have and tie them between the spokes running from the left hub flange and the spokes running from the right with a cable tie (Put the rotor bolts back in the hols in the hub or bag them). Turn the front forks backwards to shorten the bike and put it in the box with loads of padding under the bashguard and the front and rear dropouts. Slide the wheels in to one side of the frame. Don't forget to pack a snips for the cable ties and pack a roll of tape and more ties to allow you to pack the bike up at the other end of the trip to bring it home.

Edited by psycholist