Defiying Logic

Happydaze

How does this work, I was practising today my balancing, and I was offered a go on my mates stock, why oh why could I balance like perfectly on it, could not do sod all else on it mind, but my god i was like a legend.

Is this because its a better bike, or is it because it has wider tyres? I just do not know why and I am desperately racking my brains as to how its possible, to me it defies logic.

I eagerly await your answers.

How does this work, I was practising today my balancing, and I was offered a go on my mates stock, why oh why could I balance like perfectly on it, could not do sod all else on it mind, but my god i was like a legend.

Is this because its a better bike, or is it because it has wider tyres? I just do not know why and I am desperately racking my brains as to how its possible, to me it defies logic.

I eagerly await your answers.

my guess is that you are riding a mod with probably a high bottom bracket, and you then tried your friends stock which has a longer wheelbase, and lower bottom bracket. what bikes where they???

Its nothing to do with tyre width really. I can track stand my road bike on 21c tyres all day. Its more about the geometry of the bikes.

Normally, if the BB is closer to the ground, centre point of weight and balance is far lower. Also your weight has a much smaller pivot to push against, the bike. What this means in real terms is that you are closer to the floor, thus have more stability. Typically, older 26" bikes had a lower bb than 20" bikes.

Some people, depending on their height will find 20" bike very unstable because of the longer stems and head angles. The bikes very twitchy. Also as mentioned before, depending on what your background is in biking, you may have a natural preference over what style and find it easier. I've rode 20" and 26", and have settled on 26". I'm 5'11" fairly well built ad have a background in All mountain and Dh racing.

Practice, Try easing the weight on the little bike a little further back. If you still have issues, try placing all weight over the front wheel by locking your arms out, press as far forwad against the bars ad you can and bend your knees. Ryan leech uses this technique alot on his bikes.

hope that helps!,

toby